Advertisements
Advertisements
What do you refer to birthparents in an open adoption? Like in pictures? What does child call them during visits and phone calls? Plus we are a relative adoption. (almost it isn't finalized but they already signed rights over) my brother knows the baby calls us mom and dad. Birthmother refers to me as mother figure. How and when do I explain I am not just a mother figure but his mother?
We're in the same place. We're in the (beginning) process of adopting a child into an open adoption. I'm not sure how this is going to work, and I'm a little freaked out. But I DO want the child to know the parents and vice versa. I happen to have a good relationship with the birth mother. Last night we were talking about this very issue, and I suggested having the child call her "Mommy [insert name]" and "Daddy [insert name]". She said she wasn't comfortable with that while the child is very young because she doesn't want the child to be confused. She's asking that we refer to them by their first names for now, and then when the child is older, the child can decide what to call them. I like the idea, though it's not one I would have thought of myself. I like that she is generating this idea as well. Makes me feel like it's a more collaborative effort, you know?
Advertisements
We have finalized! Yay! As of right now I decided to call them birthmom/birthdad in pictures. He won't see them for many years due to them being locked up. So he can decided when he gets older what he wants to call them. I thought they would be calling but how it works where they are at doesn't seem like that will happen. I do send pictures and updates.