Advertisements
Advertisements
BethVA62
I ran across something yesterday. Hadn't noticed this line of thinking before...
A friend was asking me, the adopted one:rolleyes:, for advice. She is worried about one of her neighbors. She suspects the parents are neglecting or abusing the child. Sees and hears her on the screen porch nearly all day, she apparently isn't attending school. Has heard lots of yelling and doors slamming. Hears the child crying, she's 10. Yesterday she hopped the fence and went to talk to the young girl on the porch who lives behind her. The girl said they wouldn't let her inside, she's being punished for being bad, she'd wet the bed.
OK, so not good at all IMO. I tell my friend YES ABSOLUTELY CALL CPS.
Friend says she didn't think she should since this girl was adopted, and she didn't want to mess that up, being that adoption is so lovely, and adopted parents don't do that sort of thing, she'd hate to break up this family and see the child put in foster care....
:grr: WTH!!
Can you she her a link to Hana's story or let her read it on your computer - so she can see what happens when an adoptee gets monster parents?
Kind regards,
Dickons
Advertisements
BethVA,
I have followed this thread and havent felt a need to post. But quite frankly, I would call CPS myself if I knew my friend well enough to know where she lives and which house she is referring to.
I realize that CPS probably wouldnt do anything on such hearsay, but I would still call. AND I would tell my friend that I called and that reitterate that she really needs to because that child is in danger. clearly.
BethVA62
I ran across something yesterday. Hadn't noticed this line of thinking before...
A friend was asking me, the adopted one:rolleyes:, for advice. She is worried about one of her neighbors. She suspects the parents are neglecting or abusing the child. Sees and hears her on the screen porch nearly all day, she apparently isn't attending school. Has heard lots of yelling and doors slamming. Hears the child crying, she's 10. Yesterday she hopped the fence and went to talk to the young girl on the porch who lives behind her. The girl said they wouldn't let her inside, she's being punished for being bad, she'd wet the bed.
OK, so not good at all IMO. I tell my friend YES ABSOLUTELY CALL CPS.
Friend says she didn't think she should since this girl was adopted, and she didn't want to mess that up, being that adoption is so lovely, and adopted parents don't do that sort of thing, she'd hate to break up this family and see the child put in foster care....
:grr: WTH!!
In my state you can call children's services anonymously. Yes, there's a potential for misuse, but it's better than letting a kid stay abused. So you can call if your friend won't. I hope you decide to do that.
We hopped the fence and went to visit the young lady, again on the back porch. Talked to her parents about what, at this point, we both had witnessed. We offered help, they denied the blatantly obvious, they declined any help.
After talking with them, we let them know that we would be calling CPS. And we did. I was told that they would send someone to investigate today, it helped that most working there know me well. I can only imagine how difficult it would have been if I didn't know them:rolleyes: I'm on my way to wait on my friends' back porch for CPS while we keep an eye out on our new young friend.
I showed my friend a few articles about Hana and others, and some personal stories on the forum of adoptees that got abusive aparents. She was utterly horrified and heartbroken like the rest of us. Shame on me, shame on the family that lives behind her, we ruined her pretty view of adoption.
She said she had this belief in her head that some adopted kids are going to have difficulties and adopted parents knew what it took to help them, because 'those kids' are different, and adopted parents are different and are equipped to handle 'those kids'. No matter how bad it looked to outsiders, adopted parents just don't do that sort of thing.
:grr:
She was surprised at herself that she'd had this belief. Couldn't believe that she had thought that way, and is trying to figure out how that belief came about in her, cause she really knew better all along.
I called it brainwashed.
BethVA62
We hopped the fence and went to visit the young lady, again on the back porch. Talked to her parents about what, at this point, we both had witnessed. We offered help, they denied the blatantly obvious, they declined any help.
After talking with them, we let them know that we would be calling CPS. And we did. I was told that they would send someone to investigate today, it helped that most working there know me well. I can only imagine how difficult it would have been if I didn't know them:rolleyes: I'm on my way to wait on my friends' back porch for CPS while we keep an eye out on our new young friend.
I showed my friend a few articles about Hana and others, and some personal stories on the forum of adoptees that got abusive aparents. She was utterly horrified and heartbroken like the rest of us. Shame on me, shame on the family that lives behind her, we ruined her pretty view of adoption.
She said she had this belief in her head that some adopted kids are going to have difficulties and adopted parents knew what it took to help them, because 'those kids' are different, and adopted parents are different and are equipped to handle 'those kids'. No matter how bad it looked to outsiders, adopted parents just don't do that sort of thing.
:grr:
She was surprised at herself that she'd had this belief. Couldn't believe that she had thought that way, and is trying to figure out how that belief came about in her, cause she really knew better all along.
I called it brainwashed.
I'm so happy you did that.Think how different it would have been for Lisa Steinberg (for those old enough to remember) if someone had gotten involved and not thought that affluent, professional adoptive parents had to be wonderful. Even though it's asking a lot, I hope you and/or your friend continue to keep an eye out because sometimes parents take it out more on the kid if they have attracted scrutiny. Good for you and your friend.
Advertisements