Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi am new to this forum and would love to know if anyone else has adopted from vanuatu or any other pacific island.
We adopted a baby girl at 12 hours old she is now 8 months old. We lived in vanuatu for about 10 months, we found out that adopting in vanuatu was easy when we first arrived so we put our name down at the hospital, a few days later we got the phone call, we took our baby girl home and after 3 months applied for a court date, one month later had court and the adoption finalised so very quick. We applied for a ni van passport and a visitor visa for NZ got that arrived back in NZ and applied for citizenship and a few weeks later received it. We have felt so blessed to have our bubs in our life and would love to hear about others that have done an international adoption from a pacific island and how they are coping with everyday life.
The best place for Americans seeking information about adoption from Vanuatu is the website of the U.S. State Department at adoption.state.gov. The process is very straightforward, but few people adopt from this island nation because residency of 3-4 months is required prior to finalization. Most Americans cannot be away from jobs and families for that long.
If you do plan to adopt from Vanuatu, be sure that the child you are referred meets the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act definition of an "eligible orphan" and that you have gone through the non-Hague (I-600) process and are fully approved, or you will not be able to get an adoption visa for your child so that he/she can come to the U.S. Without such a visa, you will have to live overseas for two years with the child and then apply for a regular visa for him/her.
Sharon
Advertisements
I have been asked by my sister in law ('m married to a Ni-van man) if we want her unborn child. Which we both jumped at the chance to do. I have called CYFS and the family court and it sounds like a very loooong very drawn out process. So you were able to get the baby over here after 3 months? Would you be able to advise me of the whole process that you went through? I'd rather get my info from someone who actually completed the process from Vanuatu than anywhere else lol. Thanks so much for this post definitely what I needed!!! You are an ANGEL!