Advertisements
Advertisements
You know the movie the Truman show? Where everyone knows Truman's life is a lie but he has no idea? That about sums up my experience finding out about my biological parents.
I'd known since I was very young that I was adopted. Starting in 5th grade, people asked me frequently if I wanted to know who my biological mom was. I always told them no and that if I needed to know then God would find a way to tell me. Fast forward to the month after my 18th birthday. I was in a class in high school and a kid ran in screaming he knew who my biological mom was, that I was so and so's sister, etc. I was shocked and really upset. I spoke with several friends and people throughout the rest of the day and turns out, almost all of them had known that my biological mom actually lived in the same town I was being raised in. She had been telling people since I was in 5th grade that I was the baby she gave up for adoption, and she did anything she could do to have contact with me before I turned 18. As soon as it was "legal" for the information to get out, she spilled it. Turns out, she was the neighbor of my best friend, the mom of a boy who passed from cancer that I had taught in vacation bible school, worked as a city member on the youth relay for life I was in charge of, her parents lived a block from my house, and 75% of the town knew but myself and my adoptive parents had NO IDEA. I now have social anxiety because I feel like people are always watching my every move since they actually were for so many years but I could never figure out why. It's been 11 years since I found out about her and I struggle more today with the way she handled things then I did back then.
2 years later I drove home from college with a friend, her parents saw me and instantly knew who my biological father was. I called him two days later before he had a chance to catch me off guard. He has been much better about the situation than I expected.
Turns out they were in a relationship in high school, she got pregnant and they broke up. She hid the pregnancy for 6 months then decided to give me up shortly before I was born. My adoptive parents and I moved to the same town that my biological parents were from and obviously had no idea. There are more pieces that don't really fit yet but I feel very betrayed and can't believe that nobody had enough respect to tell my biological mother that exposing all of this was not her right.
I am probably one of the only people here who was perfectly content not knowing anything at all about my biological family.
I'm sorry. I agree she should have spoken to you first and not other people. I'm so sorry that you had to be told that way.
I guess I don't understand how your parents had no idea. I'm guessing they met her in person at some point, they knew her name, they knew what she looked like. If she was inserting herself into that many areas of your life and if 75% of the town actually knew, it's unlikely your APs didn't know.
I can see how it felt like everyone knew. And I can totally see how that would be disconcerting. I'll bet though, that a lot less people knew than you think. It's hard in a small town because it really does feel like everyone knows your business. But that brings me back to your statement that your APs didn't know. I don't see any way that they didn't if truly 75% of the town knew.
I'm not trying to be mean - but you need to accept that they most likely knew a lot more than they told you. They were probably trying to shelter you or protect you but I wouldn't give them a pass on that. Calling BS on that doesn't mean they weren't great parents and it doesn't mean that you aren't still content with being adopted.
I hope you can find peace.
Advertisements
I do feel like my AP's had to have known and didn't want to tell me because they knew it should be my choice. I would estimate 75% of the people I asked after that day had known so that's what I based my # on. My adoptive mom is really wanting to move from my hometown now that I am adult and I know those feelings are connected to the situation some how. Any time we talk about it, my mom acts very awkward and defensive. Its a disaster and I miss my life before the whole thing came to light.
I sooo get that. I'm really sorry that everything happened that way. And when you put the 75% that way, I get it. I was hoping you could feel better if it wasn't really 75% but the fact is that a large portion of those you knew did know and kept it from you. It's going to take time to process that betrayal.
It's easier to second guess things after the fact, but as an AP, I would have talked to you in 5th grade when people started asking if you wanted to meet her, or when I first realized that she was nearby. I would have made sure my child knew that bmom was in the same town. In this situation, knowing her name probably wouldn't have been your choice, but whether to meet her or interact should have been.
I'm sorry your APs feel they can't talk about it. I'm guessing your mom feels guilty and she's probably worried about you being mad at her.
My mom made some really bad choices in my life when I was young and when we talk about it now, it's mainly her justifying that she was trying to do the right thing. It makes it so hard to talk honestly about what happened, how I feel, or even to get answers to questions about my early life that I should be able to know.
I don't have any magic words. I wish I did. I think those who knew and didn't say anything were probably trying to respect your wishes. So I'd try to cut them some slack if you can. That doesn't help at all with the feeling of living a lie.
It's okay though, to be angry - at any of the people involved in this fiasco. Man, I just wish I could say something other than I'm so sorryy, that totally sucks, and I understand how betrayed you feel.
Thanks :) The hardest part for me is that most of my brain understand that everybody really did mean well. It's that very slim portion that sparks up every so often and makes my head start spinning. I know its one of those situations that was just meant to happen but I can't seem to work through my anger and resentment for some reason. I joined this forum to hopefully help with it. Thank you for your kind words!