Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi all. We are from MO and are going through our STARS classes now. My husband and I are 27, no children of our own, nor plan on it (except adoption of course). We are looking at adopting a boy (3-8) years of age. We still have our Spaudling classes to go. We have been encouraged/pressured/demanded to foster other children however, my husband and I do not feel the need or the desire to do this. After we raise the first child we plan on adopting teenagers, as that is where our heart is at, but we would like to raise a child first. We are excited, anxious, but realistic. I'd like some more feedback from Missouri people going through the foster care system, time frames, what to expect, etc.
Thanks so much & blessings!!!!
Hi! I'm in Missouri, and we got started last year. We finished our home study in about August or September, the girls moved in in November, and we did our Spaulding (after the kiddos moved in) in December. We are still waiting for legal wheels to keep moving for our girls as they were legal risk upon coming to our home, and the official plan has always been "re-unification" even though that wasn't the expectation.
We also went into this solely to adopt. We wanted one girl about age 10. We have a sibling group. We are going to adopt them.
What helped us (I think) is getting licensed for respite early in. Respite is how we met these girls and decided they were meant to be ours. I'm going to suggest that you do some respite. I think you only have to have 12 hours of training in order to have your respite license. That way you can perform respite on weekends, and maybe you'll meet YOUR child.
Advertisements