Advertisements
Advertisements
I have posted before about being "on the fence" with adopting our FD. I'm posting this post because I have specific Mental Health/IQ questions/concerns:
The good.... she is extremely polite and kind. Never talks back, pleasant, etc.
The concerns: She has a low IQ (72). Can people with a low IQ grow up and live on their own? Can they get jobs, etc.?
I'm told by her psychiatrist she has psychosis. She talks to herself, talks to an imaginary friend (who she just recent admitted she thinks it's real), and she just has very poor/inappropriate social skills. She doesn't have any good friends. She has girls that are nice to her, but they aren't "friends". Kids at school think she is weird (my nephew goes to school with her so I know this.... but my nephew does stick up for her and he's very nice to her). That's another issue. She mistakes his kindness for something more and she obsesses over him and has gotten in trouble many times over this (at home and at school). So does childhood psychosis get better? I'm so afraid it will get worse as she gets older. Right now she never gets angry or violent and I wouldn't want that to change. But I want to odd behaviors to change. She was having issues in school and her psychiatrist said he can't help her anymore in an OP setting, so he referred her to partial hospitalization. She just started this week so we pray this helps. Has anyone had any experience with partial hospitalization programs?
Thanks
Can children with an IQ in the 70's have jobs and by mostly independent? Absolutely, with the right support. It may not happen at 18, especially for a child who hasn't had stability until now, but it is definitely a realistic goal. Polite, respectful and friendly goes a LONG way in employability. And, keep in mind that children in stressful situations often do not test well and the scores can vary. The psych who tested my son said they often see IQ scores jump 10 points after a child is in a stable environment for a couple of years.
BUT, working with adults with disabilities who live in group home settings...I have to say, mental illness plays a much bigger role in determining their independence level. I would definitely pursue the dx of psychosis in more detail if independence is a great concern.
Advertisements
floodcitygirl
So does childhood psychosis get better? I'm so afraid it will get worse as she gets older. Right now she never gets angry or violent and I wouldn't want that to change. But I want to odd behaviors to change. She was having issues in school and her psychiatrist said he can't help her anymore in an OP setting, so he referred her to partial hospitalization. She just started this week so we pray this helps. Has anyone had any experience with partial hospitalization programs?
Thanks
I haven't had experience with partial hospitalization, but with folks with intellectual disabilities. You wrote "I want odd behaviors to change". I'm not sure if that meant she does odd behaviors or if you meant there are a "few" behaviors....if it is the former, I think the answer is that odd behaviors in the are part and parcel of ID.
Which all goes to say, I would try to pin down the provider to see what they think is a realistic expectation.
Well she is absolutely socially inappropriate, but I think part of that is because of the neglect, and even though she is 13 years old, she acts about 8. That will hopefully change.... but she also talks to herself (and not a "normal" way that you or I would talk to ourselves) and she talks to the imaginary friend, who she thinks is real. She has been in counseling for almost 2 years, she has had in home counseling for almost 2 years, and she has been seeing a psychiatrist for that long. The behaviors aren't changing, and that's why the psychiatrist recommended partial. Even partial says she is a unique case because she definately has concerning behaviors, but she's not bad. This is hard! ugh.