Advertisements
Advertisements
I adopted a newborn from Foster Care DD #1 is a little blonde bomb of life. She's sweet sassy and little wild around the edges. She is such a doll but man alive is that one tough kid to raise :)
She is very very rough. She likes to crash in to everything (SPD) and mouths everything and I do mean everything :arrow:
Just wanted to hear from some of you other mommies out there who are dealing with some tough kiddos.
Thanks!!
Crystal -
My just turned 5 year old has SPD, but it has calmed down with age, dietary changes (we discovered he was intolerant to gluten/soy/dairy when he was 3 years old), and A LOT of activity.
When I say a lot of activity, I mean tons. He goes to taekwondo twice a week, soccer once a week, we walk to/from school whenever it's not raining (0.8 mile one way), he plays outside after lunch for at least an hour every single day-- running around the yard, climbing on the dome climber or trees, riding his bike through the grass (b/c it's harder), etc. Every single day he does jumping jacks, burpees, and pushups with me. Every single day that he doesn't have taekwondo, he practices his kicks/punches on the pads with me.
Have you thought about food intolerances with your dd? In my experience, A LOT of drug exposed kids have food intolerances. Not enough to be considered an allergy, but enough to affect their behavior.
Advertisements
We've also had great improvement after diet changes just this year! Our girl is 8 and was diagnosed at 3 so that's a lot of years that could have been easier.
I messaged you the Facebook link. I also forgot to mention its a great resource for therapy info and also school help!
We've also had great improvement after diet changes just this year! Our girl is 8 and was diagnosed at 3 so that's a lot of years that could have been easier.
I messaged you the Facebook link. I also forgot to mention its a great resource for therapy info and also school help!
Mothertomany
Are you on Facebook? I can message you a great SPD Facebook page to follow if you are.
I am interested in that FB page!
I have a 2 year old FS (his case is in adoptions and we are adoptive resource). He can be as sweet as pie, and is a very smart little guy, but man oh man is he a tough toddler to parent. Think a typical toddler times 100, on steroids. He doesn't play with toys because he zooms from thing to thing. He has crazy melt downs many, many times a day. He is wild. He puts everything, and I mean EVERYTHING (was even sticking his lollipop in the dirt today and eating that until I noticed what he was doing) in his mouth.
He does best when he is outside playing. He loves jumping on the trampoline and driving his little car. I wish we lived in a warmer climate so he could play outside everyday, year around. When he is cooped up in the house all he does is get into whatever he isn't supposed to. It is tough, and way more intense than parenting a typical toddler.
Anyway, I have been kinda long-winded in trying to tell you that I totally understand what you are going through!
irelady10
He does best when he is outside playing. He loves jumping on the trampoline and driving his little car. I wish we lived in a warmer climate so he could play outside everyday, year around. When he is cooped up in the house all he does is get into whatever he isn't supposed to. It is tough, and way more intense than parenting a typical toddler.
Anyway, I have been kinda long-winded in trying to tell you that I totally understand what you are going through!
Winter is tough for us, too. We add in a swimming class and switch to an indoor soccer program.
We also have places like monkey joes, bounce U, skyzone, etc where they can burn off A LOT of steam.
It gets easier as they get older and can participate in more activities. I think I had him in gymnastics before he turned 3 and could do martial arts.
If we are looking to save money, we will skip an indoor soccer session, but I have to be very diligent in setting up indoor physical activities like obstacle courses and such.
Advertisements
We also had issues with being defiant. I am usually really consistent but man I gave up on some stuff with her beforehand because I just didn't want to battle. Buuuuuut it seriously got so much better after tweaking her diet some. Nothing crazy but we have found some 'triggers'!
Yea my little is in Gymnastics and has been since she was just before 2. She's almost 3 now and acts 30 (sometimes I forget she's only 2) LOL. But yes very very active. I've never done the food thing because she was nearly a vegetarian and still acted the same way. I really see no difference in her after food (except sugar) She loves to swing so we go to the park a lot! We have a swing at home but the park offers her so much more. Even with all of this input she's still a bit off the reservation. LOL. But the activities do really help. We do lots of running! :)
I've considered talking to her pediatrician about the adhd thing. Even at nearly 3 it's soooo noticeable. The mouthing things is the worst though. Her shoes, stuff she finds on the ground, random cups from other peoples tables. You name it she mouths it. The oral fixation is super super hard to deal with. No wonder she's always got strep. Ugghh... this kiddo is the joy of my day but the night of my night! LOL! I'm so glad I posted this thread. I love hearing that other people are dealing with these things. I felt such a failure especially when people try to "tell me how to stop her" LMAO! if you think I haven't tried please think again! Thanks ladies for posting and please keep it up! I love the FB support page. It's amazing!
Regarding the food thing-- we didn't think it could be diet related, either.
Until we took him off of dairy and soy. HOLY COW. After a week off of dairy and soy, he was like an entirely different child.
When we did the 3 months off of gluten to see if it made a difference, it didn't at first, but by the end of the 3rd month, he was ready to be discharged from his behaviorist and OT.
If I hadn't tracked his food intake every day for months, and then removed soy and dairy (and then gluten) under the guidance of a nutritionist, I would probably still be saying that it wasn't diet related. We ate a very healthy diet, very little sugar, no dyes, very little processed foods. But because he was eating a steady diet of dairy, a little soy, and gluten, he was steadily out of control. There wasn't a spike after he ate, because he ate those things at nearly every meal or snack.
It's very easy to remove all dairy and soy for 7-10 days if you are diligent in reading labels. It certainly isn't going to hurt her to see if it would make a difference.
I was at the SAME SPOT you are at now. I was ready to talk to the dr about ADHD meds for him a month after he turned 3. Dietary intervention changed his life.
Advertisements
irelady10
I have a 2 year old FS (his case is in adoptions and we are adoptive resource). He can be as sweet as pie, and is a very smart little guy, but man oh man is he a tough toddler to parent. Think a typical toddler times 100, on steroids. He doesn't play with toys because he zooms from thing to thing. He has crazy melt downs many, many times a day. He is wild. He puts everything, and I mean EVERYTHING (was even sticking his lollipop in the dirt today and eating that until I noticed what he was doing) in his mouth.
Did you get my message for the Facebook page?
jmd5294
Regarding the food thing-- we didn't think it could be diet related, either.
Until we took him off of dairy and soy. HOLY COW. After a week off of dairy and soy, he was like an entirely different child.
When we did the 3 months off of gluten to see if it made a difference, it didn't at first, but by the end of the 3rd month, he was ready to be discharged from his behaviorist and OT.
If I hadn't tracked his food intake every day for months, and then removed soy and dairy (and then gluten) under the guidance of a nutritionist, I would probably still be saying that it wasn't diet related. We ate a very healthy diet, very little sugar, no dyes, very little processed foods. But because he was eating a steady diet of dairy, a little soy, and gluten, he was steadily out of control. There wasn't a spike after he ate, because he ate those things at nearly every meal or snack.
It's very easy to remove all dairy and soy for 7-10 days if you are diligent in reading labels. It certainly isn't going to hurt her to see if it would make a difference.
I was at the SAME SPOT you are at now. I was ready to talk to the dr about ADHD meds for him a month after he turned 3. Dietary intervention changed his life.
Okay... you've convinced me. If it will make her mind more settled then I'll do anything. Plus I really hate the medicine idea. I'm sooo anti medical intervention unless it's truly needed so I think I must try eliminating dairy / soy first for my own mental health. Thanks! I don't know about he gluten thing. I work so much I just don't know that daycare can accommodate her "gluten" allergy if that ends up being the case but we'll see. First Milk / Soy... we will see! I'll keep you all updated.
I have a 3 year old that has SPD also. She is so rough one will play with her. To me she is ADHD & ODD. I've been trying to get help for her since she was 18 months old. She has no regard for her own safety or anyone else's. She is supper smart. Doesn't forget anything. I've had her since she was 4 months old. She has so many melt downs daily. She screams for hours. Growls & drool Luke an animal. She is very manipulative, charming & violent. She will pull her hair out, bite herself & slap herself in the face with her hand or any toy she happens to be holding. She will not play with toys for more than a few seconds before she moves on to the next one. She runs everywhere. She is so loud all the time. She has one volume, loud. One speed, wide open. She has to be in line of sight at all times. Which isn't a problem because she wants to be stuck to me 24/7. She talks just to hear herself talk. She isn't my first or only child. Thanks for letting me vent.
Completely understand so incredibly overwhelming at times. I truly couldn't love my DD any more but man alive she's a tough one to parent at times. :)
Advertisements
jmd5294 - Would you be willing to share menu's. I'm trying hard to find a menu that will be sufficient for my DD (the bread nut). She's a carboholic and trying to find a non dairy breakfast item seems to be harder than expected. She doesn't like eggs. Thanks!
eyejustam
I have a 3 year old that has SPD also. She is so rough one will play with her. To me she is ADHD & ODD. I've been trying to get help for her since she was 18 months old. She has no regard for her own safety or anyone else's. She is supper smart. Doesn't forget anything. I've had her since she was 4 months old. She has so many melt downs daily. She screams for hours. Growls & drool Luke an animal. She is very manipulative, charming & violent. She will pull her hair out, bite herself & slap herself in the face with her hand or any toy she happens to be holding. She will not play with toys for more than a few seconds before she moves on to the next one. She runs everywhere. She is so loud all the time. She has one volume, loud. One speed, wide open. She has to be in line of sight at all times. Which isn't a problem because she wants to be stuck to me 24/7. She talks just to hear herself talk. She isn't my first or only child. Thanks for letting me vent.
OMG...you just described my 5 year old perfectly!!! :eek: