Advertisements
Advertisements
This has all transpired in the last 3 weeks.
I am a 53 y.o. male who grew up in St Paul and I have always known I was adopted. I dont think I was treated any different than my parentҒs birth children. I was the oldest and the next youngest, my first sister, was adopted, but the next 3, brother, sister, brother, were by birth to them.
My parents would ask me time to time if I was interested in finding out more information but I always told them I was fine with it. Mostly I figured that if birth parents wanted to know about me they would somehow contact me, if not they most likely didn't care. I also didn't want to hurt my adopted parents feelings. I did always feel a disconnect knowing that I was genetically different. You see people that you have no physical similarities with and I couldn't feel connected on that level. I would have to say though my adopted parents were great I loved very much.
The last year or so I toyed with the idea of trying to find some info about my birth parents for medical information if anything. Since I was adopted through Catholic Charities I found that that wasn't going to be an easy route or it would be very expensive.
My father passed away on the same day as my mother 3 years later this February. As executor of the will I was given an envelope a couple of weeks ago with all the documents that I needed. Inside was an envelope for my eyes only. So opened it and in it there was the adoption decree. My parents had obtained a copy of it in 1975 for me. Sadly I cannot thank them for this now or how important it has become. On it was my birth mothers full name. It is a one of a kind name that would be very easy to track. Almost right away I found out she has passed away at the age of 73. I started to trace out what I could on Ancestery.com and found I have a very full family line. I also found that all my aunts and uncles had passed away. It seemed that the only person who knew her was her husband who is not my birth father. That much I could see by dates and places. But I figured I would call him for health information and possibility of any information about her he would like to share. Good idea I thought, so I went ahead and called. I flat out told him the reason but I think it threw him. So I gave my information to call, write, or ask questions. I also told him I would not contact him again. I felt after the call that this was the end of that so I erased the family tree I built out of frustration. Had it all and lost it all in one day.
Over a week went by and a man called me. I didn't recognize the number but I answered anyway. My research was faulty, it was my birth uncle and he has been waiting for me to call for 53 years. He actually has been living close by the whole time. He filled me in with what had happened all those years ago. What my mother was like. I have some traits that only he would have known about. We have met and apparently I was not a secret in the family and about half my direct cousins actually know of me existing. I was eventually told I have two half sisters but I feel at this point that their father would have to tell them about me. I will not contact them at this time. I also asked them to try and keep it on the down low. I want to be respectful of her husband and his children.
As for my birth father I was told he didn't want much part of me when he found out I was coming. People react in different ways to pressure situations and Im okay with that. IҒll look into to it if my uncle can remember his name. More so for the health history than anything else.
I will have to say that this feels so very strange. It is very exciting and I am surprised at how excited my birth family is to be in contact with me. I guess Im lucky to have such a positive outcome.
I think it is lovely that your adoptive parents asked over the years if you wanted to know about your biological parents. They had the information for you, and they kept it safe.
Yes, I agree that people react differently to stressful situations. But, that was over 50 years ago. Your father may well want to know you now. You won't know unless you attempt to contact him.
As far as contacting your biological siblings is concerned, obviously that's your call. Like you, I've chosen not to contact mine, but if you change your mind, it's okay. They are your siblings, and they may well have the right to know you exist and to know you.
Adoptees need to know that just because our biological parents didn't seek us out doesn't mean that they didn't want to know us. It's as difficult for them to find us as it is for us to find them.
I'm glad that you found some welcoming family members. That's fantastic.
Advertisements
I'm so sorry for your loss...
I wasn't a secret to anyone in my family of birth that was alive when I came along. They all expected me to find them, they didn't know that I wouldn't have their information.
I'm sorry your mother had passed before you got the information, that was what happened to me too. I'm really glad your uncle is excited - that's what I had too, turned out to be the strongest, easiest relationship ever.
Stick around here - your emotions will be all over the place, it's weird to be given the key to something you never thought you would get.
Kind regards,
Dickons
I'm sorry for your loss. I searched last year and found my birth mother's grave. It was... harder than I expected to face that.
But it's great that you've found an uncle who's welcoming and warm. Really, it's wonderful!
As for your biological sibs... it's up to you if you want to contact them or not. You're all adults - if you eventually decide you want to reach out, you have every right to do so. If you'd rather stay apart from them, that's your right as well. Do what feels best for you.
Welcome to the rollercoaster of reunion...