Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi
I am absolutely new to this forum. I am 29 years old and single. I always wanted to adopt a baby. I am hoping to settle a bit more financially before i actually submit applications for this. I just started researching more about adoption. I have a few questions. It would be great if i can get a few answers.
1. I am an Indian in Australia; yet to get my permanent residency. Is it possible to adopt a baby from India once i get my permanent residency/ citizenship?
2. I am single. I have heard its a long wait for singles to get a baby. Do you think its even possible to get accepted or am i just wasting my time hoping to have a baby?
It would be helpful if i can get some information! Thank you!!
You may want to post in the single adoptive parent support forum, since folks there may have more information that will fit for you.
I'm not sure about the laws in Australia (I believe there is also a forum for Australia and New Zealand adoption, which might be helpful as well).
In terms of adopting from India, I originally looked into international adoption and was told that one of the countries that does allow single parents to adopt is India. From what the agency told me, they prefer Indian adoptive parents whenever possible. One challenge you may run into is that adopting a newborn or very young infant may be a challenge. It may be easier for you because you are Indian, but you would want to check with a couple of agencies to see what is possible. Some countries allow adoption only of older children, and especially as your situation is not necessarily a common one, getting information from professionals may be your best bet.
Advertisements
You may want to post in the single adoptive parent support forum, since folks there may have more information that will fit for you.
I'm not sure about the laws in Australia (I believe there is also a forum for Australia and New Zealand adoption, which might be helpful as well).
In terms of adopting from India, I originally looked into international adoption and was told that one of the countries that does allow single parents to adopt is India. From what the agency told me, they prefer Indian adoptive parents whenever possible. One challenge you may run into is that adopting a newborn or very young infant may be a challenge. It may be easier for you because you are Indian, but you would want to check with a couple of agencies to see what is possible. Some countries allow adoption only of older children, and especially as your situation is not necessarily a common one, getting information from professionals may be your best bet.