Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi all,
I was curious if any of you had any experience with siblings with different Fathers? If there aren't seemingly any kin on the children's Mother's side willing to adopt, but there are people on the each of the children's Father's sides who want "their" child, but not the other, do judges typically allow for siblings to be separated for kin? or would they favor a foster parent who would take both?
Thanks!
Here it depends on the relationship between the child and the relative, but generally keeping siblings together wins out if there is a relative who can taken them all.
Our sib group is four kids (2, 3.5, 9 and 16 when placed with us) with parents who have kids from previous relationships and children together.
The 9 year old was separated and placed with her 11 year old half sister (who wasn't living with them). But that fictive kin who were caring for the 11 year old didn't have room for all of the kids and the 16 year old didn't want to live with them, so the siblings were separated.
The 16 year old has relatives of her deceased mom who live out of state and immediately wanted to have the kids placed with them. It would have happened if they had been in our state. They just couldn't transfer the kids out of state. One of the relatives is an aunt who's an elementary school teacher. She seems very nice but has never met Lucy and Linus and has no relationship to them. But to keep three of the siblings together, they would have been placed with them had they been in state.
However, when the 16 year old's maternal relatives tracked down distant relatives in this state using Ancestry.com who would have accepted the placement of all of the kids, it didn't work since the relatives were too distantly related and the CW refused to even contact them.
So, I'm not sure if there's any real standard other than what the CWs and judges think is best.
Advertisements
I think it entirely depends on your area.
Our area would try to go to any length to not separate siblings unless they are harming each other.
Could it happen? Yes, but IMO you will more likely have a relative step up who is willing to take both. That being said, it would be a very compelling argument if no one will for them to remain with the foster family.
Depends on the politics of your area.
In our area, this scenario can happen. And this is exactly our case. Two of our 3 came into Care w/ an older sister. However, since they have different fathers, the children were going to be split between BioMom and BioDad family. Once BioDad family was denied, BioMom refused placement as well. So, they came into our home. Once their NB sibling came into Care, we requested placement as well.
Now if BioMom does have another, which is very possible, our home is open for any siblings regardless of father. BioMom family refuses all placements so ultimately adoption will be btwn us and BioDad/Family.
I actually had a similar situation. Baby A had lots of bio siblings with different dads. Some were adopted, some were in foster care, one was with a grandparent. I just had the baby. The foster families who had the siblings didn't have room for the baby. At one point they did ask if I'd take one of the older kids but I couldn't because she was older than my oldest and I didn't want to expose my girls to someone older with a difficult past and troubling behavior.
When it was time for permanency, a relative of bio dad wanted the baby. There was never any mention of her taking any of the other kids who were not related to her.
The two other girls in foster care were to be adopted by their foster mom. Other than asking that mom if she wanted the baby when she first came into care, there was no mention of the baby having to go with siblings.
I had 3 other placements where the child was separated from siblings when removed and then later I was told they were moving all the kids to a home where they could be together.
I think it depends on the judge
I actually had a similar situation. Baby A had lots of bio siblings with different dads. Some were adopted, some were in foster care, one was with a grandparent. I just had the baby. The foster families who had the siblings didn't have room for the baby. At one point they did ask if I'd take one of the older kids but I couldn't because she was older than my oldest and I didn't want to expose my girls to someone older with a difficult past and troubling behavior.
When it was time for permanency, a relative of bio dad wanted the baby. There was never any mention of her taking any of the other kids who were not related to her.
The two other girls in foster care were to be adopted by their foster mom. Other than asking that mom if she wanted the baby when she first came into care, there was no mention of the baby having to go with siblings.
I had 3 other placements where the child was separated from siblings when removed and then later I was told they were moving all the kids to a home where they could be together.
I think it depends on the judge
Advertisements
Thanks! I wondered how it all worked, and basically what you're all saying is the same as what the SW said, that it all just depends. There are a bunch of people who have inquired about the kids, but who only want one or the other, even their own maternal Grandmother. I just want to say to these people, "They're not a litter of puppies, you don't get to pick which one you want (always the cute one and not the one rambunctious one!) and head out the door." Drives me nuts!