Advertisements
Advertisements
We've been asked to consider placement for my SS older brother. We fought for custody of all three children only to be denied. (We had cared for all three children for two years.) Obviously, my SS was placed with us, but we wanted to keep the sibling group together. Apparently, we're now good enough to accept placement of the oldest sibling.
There was domestic violence, drug abuse, sexual abuse, and so much more in this situation. Why is the state offering us guardianship of oldest, but neglecting to terminate the rights of the other offending party.
The offending party will be required to have supervised visits and will be responsible for paying for these visits, but it's quite likely these visits won't occur.
We're happy to offer permanency, but why no TPR. We're willing to adopt!
TPR costs money. Either they don't want to pay the extra money that it would cost, or they don't think they could win at the trial.
How old is the child? In some states, after having the child for a year, you can file for tpr and adoption yourself. Of course, you would have to pay for it. In my state, you can't get a subsidy without foster or adoption, so be careful taking guardianship/custody if your state won't give you financial subsidy to care for him.
Advertisements
I think it's money. The county has not provided Medicaid coverage for the youngest who resides with an aunt. The child has been with her aunt who still doesn't have custody for 9 months with no medical coverage.
The oldest will have serious issues. So, they don't have to provide anything when the child? Wonderful! We'll deal either way, but these children have been treated like crap by the system.
Cries from the Hollow. By CL Pfeiffer. On sale as of yesterday at Amazon.com
THIS IS THE BOOK THAT EVERY "PROSPECTIVE" FOSTER PARENT, FOSTER PARENTS, AND FOSTER TO ADOPT PARENTS HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR SOMEONE TO WRITE!
Go check it out.
Not a hughe book, but hughe information. See yourself in the pages! Learn why the system needs to change. :rockband:
Two possible reasons...1-there isn't sufficient evidence for TPR or 2-the case is on a dependency petition. In my state, you cannot terminate rights on a dependency petition.