Advertisements
Advertisements
My friend is taking care of her cousin for his senior year in hs while his mom gets thru rehab etc. His bio dad pays child support now but does not intend to contribute for college. My friend is wondering whether dad's income counts toward financial aid? Since his bio mom likely will not have physical custody of him before he graduates, would it make sense for him to try to emancipate himself? Tia.
Here (and this is one of those that probably vary by state, depending on what "kinship care" is there), he is "in foster care" just like any other child in foster care. He would get to check the yes box on the FAFSA for "Have you been in FC since turning 13?" Idk the exact wording, but that is the question. Therefore, he would apply for aid as a family with $0 income. That is the rule for all youth who age out.
Although the FAFSA (FEDERAL application for student aid) is obviously the same everywhere, whether or not he is a "foster child" may vary by location. Also, it could vary between cases in the same area. If she has custody through guardianship, I'm not actually sure how he would file. Possibly he would have to list his parents and their income. But if it's kinship foster care, he gets to count no one as his income source.
Advertisements
Here (and this is one of those that probably vary by state, depending on what "kinship care" is there), he is "in foster care" just like any other child in foster care. He would get to check the yes box on the FAFSA for "Have you been in FC since turning 13?" Idk the exact wording, but that is the question. Therefore, he would apply for aid as a family with $0 income. That is the rule for all youth who age out.
Although the FAFSA (FEDERAL application for student aid) is obviously the same everywhere, whether or not he is a "foster child" may vary by location. Also, it could vary between cases in the same area. If she has custody through guardianship, I'm not actually sure how he would file. Possibly he would have to list his parents and their income. But if it's kinship foster care, he gets to count no one as his income source.
loveajax
His bio dad pays child support now but does not intend to contribute for college. My friend is wondering whether dad's income counts toward financial aid?
is he officially a foster or does your friend have just some kind of agreement with the bios?
is child support being paid to bio mom or your friend?
in my state, child support doesnt end at 18. it keeps going until the child is out of school or age 25 (or 26, i forget which), whichever comes first. so depending on the state laws, even if dad has no intention of contributing to college, he may HAVE to, at least in the form of continued child support.
does your friend have any kind of official guardianship or foster or is it all under the radar, for lack of a better term.
my stepson moved out at 19. at about 21 he decided to go to college. he didnt want to take loans and be burdened with them. what really sucked was, even though he had been independant and completely self supporting for TWO years, they still considered OUR income. he was a household of 1. HIMSELF! yet because he was under the age of 25, he had to put our income on his FAFSA application. he ended up just taking whatever classes he could afford cash each semister, along with whatever we helped with cash, until he turned 26 and could then apply for the FAFSA on his own. he managed to graduate debt free by the time he was 28.
hopefully he is officially foster or guardianship so he can get it no problem.
Thanks to you both. This is definitely a non foster situation. It is such a bummer because this kid is so talented and smart. My friend has no idea what the divorce decree says and is at a bit of a loss.
loveajax
Thanks to you both. This is definitely a non foster situation. It is such a bummer because this kid is so talented and smart. My friend has no idea what the divorce decree says and is at a bit of a loss.
I would suggest they apply for everything they can, including extended child support if it's available. Or have the young man try to get his dad to help.
I wonder what they'd do in a situation if you bio totally cuts you off and won't give you their financial info so you CAN apply.
Can he consult any colleges he's interested in and get in touch with the financial aide office?
If he's got good grades he should be able to get aide because of it. A guy I work with has a daughter who just got a FULL RIDE to a college in VA on academic merit only. Only thing they have to pay is room and board for 4 years!
There IS help out there. They just have to find it!
Advertisements
Thanks! Fortunately my friend is super smart and sent her oldest off to college. I so hope this kid catches a much needed break! I just feel bad bc she is asking me for legal advice and I have never done any family law.
This is helpful. [url]http://www.lacashforcollege.org/resources_files/UniqueSituationFAFSATips.PDF[/url]
If friend can get legal guardianship (through a court order) the child can claim independent status on the FAFSA. That is the route I would go.
This is helpful. [url]http://www.lacashforcollege.org/resources_files/UniqueSituationFAFSATips.PDF[/url]
If friend can get legal guardianship (through a court order) the child can claim independent status on the FAFSA. That is the route I would go.
Advertisements