Advertisements
Advertisements
It seems like America is not the only place that discriminates against Single Men who want to adopt daughters. I understand the reasoning behind most arguments. There are however a good number of Men who could provide a loving, caring, and educational home for girls.
I have had a concern for some time now, at least in America, it appears that parents are starting or have been neglecting their duty as an educator in a child's life.
I have always wanted a little sister and for the longest time now, I've decided I want a daughter. I feel that I'm more in touch with my Feminine side than my Masculine side.
I've also heard that in Russia, some places allow Single Men to adopt. Would I stand a better chance by spending a length of time period in Russia? Perhaps even become a citizen of Russia?
What Regions in Russia allow Single Men to adopt and is it only for Boys or can they adopt girls too? Is there another country where I'd stand a better chance at adopting a girl?
I actually believe there is still a ban on adoptions between the US and Russia, so I'm not sure that is a viable option for you.
Have you worked with a private adoption agency? Do you already have a completed home study? I believe you can get a private agency to complete the home study, which might make you seem like a better candidate.
Advertisements
Unfortunately, no American -- single or married, female or male -- can adopt from Russia for the foreseeable future. It doesn't matter whether you live in the U.S. or spend some time in Russia. The Russian government has imposed the ban for several reasons:
1. Cases in which Russian adoptees have died or suffered from abuse/neglect in American homes.
2. Retaliation for sanctions imposed by the American government in response to Russian military action in Ukraine.
3. Extreme nationalism among some segments of the population, where it is believed that international adoption should be banned outright because it allegedly deprives a child of his/her identity and cultural heritage.
There is no way of telling whether or when adoptions from Russia by Americans will be allowed to resume -- and if they do resume, what new laws related to the characteristics of prospective adoptive parents will be in place.
Most countries have more boys than girls available for adoption, simply because Americans -- who adopt internationally more than people from other nations -- prefer to adopt girls. Agencies in the U.S. often have long waiting lists for both single and married parents wanting to adopt girls, while boys languish in orphanages and foster care around the world. As a result, they are likely to pressure you to adopt boys.
Many foreign countries have concerns about single males adopting any children -- boys or girls. For one thing, raising young children is considered the province of women, and if a man wants to raise young children, he is presumed to be gay, even if he is not. In general, the countries that are open to adoption tend to have very negative views of homosexuality, and especially of adoption of children by gay men. Also, because most pedophiles and procurers for the sex trade are male, many countries are afraid to place a child with a single male because they assume that the child will be sexually abused.
In general, single men have a much easier time adopting in the U.S. than they do overseas. While there are still people with suspicions of a man's motivation for wanting to adopt a boy OR girl, many agencies DO place children of both genders with single men. You may have to jump through a lot more hoops than a married heterosexual couple, and wait a very long time for a girl to be available, but you are more likely, in the end, to wind up with a child.
Sharon
Unfortunately, no American -- single or married, female or male -- can adopt from Russia for the foreseeable future. It doesn't matter whether you live in the U.S. or spend some time in Russia. The Russian government has imposed the ban for several reasons:
1. Cases in which Russian adoptees have died or suffered from abuse/neglect in American homes.
2. Retaliation for sanctions imposed by the American government in response to Russian military action in Ukraine.
3. Extreme nationalism among some segments of the population, where it is believed that international adoption should be banned outright because it allegedly deprives a child of his/her identity and cultural heritage.
There is no way of telling whether or when adoptions from Russia by Americans will be allowed to resume -- and if they do resume, what new laws related to the characteristics of prospective adoptive parents will be in place.
Most countries have more boys than girls available for adoption, simply because Americans -- who adopt internationally more than people from other nations -- prefer to adopt girls. Agencies in the U.S. often have long waiting lists for both single and married parents wanting to adopt girls, while boys languish in orphanages and foster care around the world. As a result, they are likely to pressure you to adopt boys.
Many foreign countries have concerns about single males adopting any children -- boys or girls. For one thing, raising young children is considered the province of women, and if a man wants to raise young children, he is presumed to be gay, even if he is not. In general, the countries that are open to adoption tend to have very negative views of homosexuality, and especially of adoption of children by gay men. Also, because most pedophiles and procurers for the sex trade are male, many countries are afraid to place a child with a single male because they assume that the child will be sexually abused.
In general, single men have a much easier time adopting in the U.S. than they do overseas. While there are still people with suspicions of a man's motivation for wanting to adopt a boy OR girl, many agencies DO place children of both genders with single men. You may have to jump through a lot more hoops than a married heterosexual couple, and wait a very long time for a girl to be available, but you are more likely, in the end, to wind up with a child.
Sharon
I guess I'll have to consider other options then. I can't help but wonder about Ukraine then. Perhaps another country. My great grandfather has a direct link to the Netherlands. So, perhaps a Dutch child then.
Thanks for the responses.