Advertisements
Advertisements
On my local news in the past two days:
A ten year old has been arrested for murder. He went to visit his granddad who was a care taker for a 90 YO woman. The boy went into the woman's room and she scolded him for being in there. He pushed her on the bed, used her cane to choke her and punched her in the throat 3 times. She is dead--he is now in prison, charged as an adult with murder. When he went home he told his mother what he did and she took him to the police station. He admitted to the police what he had done as well.I feel so sorry for this child's mother- she did the right thing by reporting it --and now her life must be a living hell right now.
Also a 9Yo died of a drug overdose--he had been dropped off at a man's house and the man said that he knew the kid had a drug and alcohol problem and had been acting weird since he had been dropped off. He said he thought the kid might have stolen some of his (the man's) own oxycontin and taken it. He did not try to get help - in fact he did nothing. Someone else reported it. Now the boy is dead because seemingly nothing was done.
I keep thinking what was this boy's home life like if he was drinking and using drugs at 9YO. Where were his caretakers---if he had a reputation for alcohol and drug abuse like the man said certainly his family knew about it if other people in the community did- or at least you would think so. What was done about it, if anything? How was he introduced to it at such a young age? Maybe his parents or caretakers were users themselves.
I would more expect a kid of 12-13 to try alcohol and drugs - that is often when it starts, when they are entering their teen years. But 9???---