Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi,
My partner and I looking to adopt but I do have a felony charge on my record which is making it VERY hard to do so. The crime happened over 15 years ago, and I was stupid and pleaded guilty.
Does anyone know of agencies that help someone with a record adopt?
In MA, most felonies can be sealed through probation after a period of time, but they will still show up on a FBI fingerprint check. I would call agencies in the area, explain the situation and see their rules. If it was a drug offense, it likely will not disqualify you. Our sw did tell us they would not approve the home study of someone who had an armed robbery conviction. Goodluck.
Advertisements
We just found out we are barred forever from adopting in our state bc my husband has a MISDEMEANOR from 6 years ago in which no one was hurt, no children, violence, abuse, whatsoever involved.
I just posted in the Failed/Contested portion looking for advice. At this point, our only option may be to move to another state.
I don't understand how these rules can be so black and white without taking into consideration an individual's story, past, recovery, more recent actions, etc.
The charge was in Florida but I now live in MA. I am trying to get the record removed/lesser charge in FL but no such luck so far.
Anyone have agencies they recommend in MA to reach out too?
Try [url=http://www.adoption.com/reviews]Adoption Agencies, Adopt a Child, Adoption Agency[/url] for agencies.
All the best in finding a good one!