Advertisements
Advertisements
I've been reading post on here for sometime and decided to finally post to see if anyone has experience around this.
My husband and I are looking to do kinship placement. The way this all came about is in January of this year my cousin advised me that her two young children(different fathers) were in care and would we take them in. We said we would and then she back tracked and said she was getting them back so we let the issue go.
Fast forward to July and we found out that she wasn't completing her courses or the things she needed to do. I then reached out to the CPS CW myself and advised her we were available for placement. We took all the necessary classes and became licensed and moved to a larger home to accommodate the children.
Over Thanksgiving the children were sent with us as the transition was set to begin, they would be with us for 5 days and then return home so the oldest child could finish school. They were set to return on the 19th of this month, per CPS.
Then last week we got a call from CPS that the placement may not happen until next month. The mother's termination hearing was moved until next month and the oldest's father showed up to court. We can't seem to get a straight answer from CPS as to what is gonna happen. The current FM is allowing us contact with the children, as we all believed they placement would take place soon, her family is also frustrated because we can't get answers. Our agency is working on contacting the CPS CW without a response and the whole situation has left us disheartened, especially because everyone involved were expecting a placement within the next few weeks.
Does anyone have experience with something like this?
Just because dad popped up at the end of he case that doesn't mean anything. It sounds like they just want to wait until after the next hearing to be positive the case it moving toward termination & they don't have to remove the children from you etc. But honestly, it would likely take an extreme circumstance for dad to get them back.
Advertisements
Are you close enough to do visitation should termination be delayed? That seems like it would be the main reason not to move them. Well, or it would make little sense to move them if it looks like RU will be in a couple months since they are already settled in their other foster home. Of course, that doesn't seem to be the issue in this case.