Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi! My name is Hannah Townley! I have been searching for about 4 months now for the right adoption agency - I am very new to this whole thing as I have never adopted before. I suppose I have kind of done things backwards, which may be why this is so difficult, none the less here is my situation...
I am from Redding, CA. There is an older child in foster care located in Portland, OR that my husband and I would like to adopt. I have gotten it confirmed that he is free to adopt and the case worker is accepting homestudies from every state. Where I am running into problems is finding an agency that will actually deal with an out-of-state adoption.
I have a seasonal job in Alaska which I will be going back to in April, my goal was to get the orientations and classes out of the way before I left for Alaska so that when I come back and purchase a house I could get the homestudy done, as I will not be going back to Alaska if I am adopting.
I have contacted an upward of 15 agencies, I am waiting on many emails from others. I have also attended my counties social service orientation for fostering. All I have talked to have told me they could not cater to an out-of-state adoption.
I am earnestly searching for an agency that would be able to make this happen for me! I dont want to get started with the process at one agency to ultimately find out that they will not send my homestudy to this boys caseworker. Does an agency like this actually exist in California?
I am also considering moving to Oregon to make this happen, very open to this as we have been considering it anyways. However, I feel like if I was to move back to California after the adoption would be finalized that would be kind of deceptive to the child - last thing I want to do. Should this even be an option?
Thank you for reading, any input would be great!
We also are in California working with our county. Like your we have also found children photo listed in Kentucky that we are interested in adopting. However as we wait for our home study to be completed we also are concerned the county will not support the out of state effort.
I would call the ICPC Office in Sacramento. In order to do an out of state adoption you need to go through this process. The state can tell you what agency can help you.
Advertisements
We also are in California working with our county. Like your we have also found children photo listed in Kentucky that we are interested in adopting. However as we wait for our home study to be completed we also are concerned the county will not support the out of state effort.
I would call the ICPC Office in Sacramento. In order to do an out of state adoption you need to go through this process. The state can tell you what agency can help you.
You could check out:
[url=http://www.adoption.com/reviews]Adopting? How to adopt a child or baby | Adoption.com[/url] and see if there are any other agencies listed that you haven't yet contacted.
Hoping for the best for you! It sounds like you are willing to do whatever it takes to welcome this boy as family. Keep looking, you'll find the right connections to help you out.
-Spud :Chewie:
Just an fyi I was told by 2 Counties in California that they will not submit homestudies out of state and that I'd need to go with an agency...which I did. My agency not only gave me a copy of our homestudy but they have also submitted our homestudy to whomever we've requested, out of state, out of County etc.
One thing I'd consider is to make sure that your agency is well versed in adoptions so you will get the support you need. Hope this info helps.
Just an fyi I was told by 2 Counties in California that they will not submit homestudies out of state and that I'd need to go with an agency...which I did. My agency not only gave me a copy of our homestudy but they have also submitted our homestudy to whomever we've requested, out of state, out of County etc.
One thing I'd consider is to make sure that your agency is well versed in adoptions so you will get the support you need. Hope this info helps.
Advertisements
So I did contact the ICPC office, the person I talked to seemed like I was an incredible inconvenience and sent me right back to Shasta Counties Social Services.
Tho I have found a local agency that has been giving me the time of day so far! They have been asking and answering questions more then any other agency has, so that is encouraging. They have also told me that they are going to talk to some adoption people and get back to me. And there is a man that goes to the same life group as me that has told me that he knows the owners of that agency and that they are very much into trying to find solutions to peoples adoption problems! So I may have found the right agency.
If any of you praying people could pray for me that this continues to be a the right agency I would very much appreciate it. Thank you!!
I cant believe how hard of a process this whole thing is and it makes me wonder if this plays a large roll in there being so many children that need forever homes.
hannahtownley
So I did contact the ICPC office, the person I talked to seemed like I was an incredible inconvenience and sent me right back to Shasta Counties Social Services.
Tho I have found a local agency that has been giving me the time of day so far! They have been asking and answering questions more then any other agency has, so that is encouraging. They have also told me that they are going to talk to some adoption people and get back to me. And there is a man that goes to the same life group as me that has told me that he knows the owners of that agency and that they are very much into trying to find solutions to peoples adoption problems! So I may have found the right agency.
If any of you praying people could pray for me that this continues to be a the right agency I would very much appreciate it. Thank you!!
I cant believe how hard of a process this whole thing is and it makes me wonder if this plays a large roll in there being so many children that need forever homes.
Sending prayers your way!