Advertisements
Advertisements
I'm going to post my question over here, since this board is more active and you are parents of these amazing kiddos.
I'm a birthmom. My daughter will be 9 years old this month. I signed the paperwork and placed her directly into the arms of her mother when she was 3 days old. She is in a wonderful family and I couldn't be happier with my decision. They have been so awesome at everything. We have kept in contact at least once a year since then. In last years email it was mentioned that DD and her family were talking about setting up a Skype with me when she wanted to. Of course, my reply was that I would be willing whenever DD was ready. Well, they must have talked about it a lot this year, because that's what DD wants to do! And we've set up a time and date next week!
I'm a roller-coaster of emotions! (Doesn't help that I'm pregnant again either!)
This is where I need help! You're raising kiddos just like her. And I need more guidance going into this. I don't want to get super emotional and make her uncomfortable. I definitely don't want to cross any boundaries I don't know about.
What could be going through DD's mind? What questions could she have? What the heck do I talk to a 9 year old about?!
Congrats! It'll be so good (and probably so emotional) to talk to her! 9 year olds are pretty easy in their interests, as long as you care about and talk about what she is interested in, you're golden. Look through past communications from the adoptive parents and see if you can get nuggets about what she likes and where there might be similarities in what you like.
I'd try to keep the mood upbeat and interested in her. Have an "out" if you start getting too emotional - an meeting you forgot, you phone is vibrating, etc.
But mostly just have fun and start what hopefully will be the beginning of more "face to face" convos as she grows.
Let us know how it goes!
Advertisements
Speaking as a mother of origin, before you get on that Skype call you need to call her parents and discuss boundaries for both of you. You might find out there are things you don't want to talk about too, and you need to be able to say that. There have been certain things I will only discuss with my son, who is 10. Like the night he was born, that is our story, not theirs, so I wouldn't tell him until we had time to do that in private.
I talk with Kiddo about school, his family, his pets. He has started asking me questions too, but we have had contact with each other through phone and text for quite awhile.
There probably won't be much heavy talk. She's nine and probably doesn't care a lot about that stuff.
For you, this is going to be tough I would bet. If you feel like it is getting overly emotional for you, feel free to end the call. I think it is very important to remember that you can have boundaries too. I have always had certain rules about visits etc and we are at the point where I keep him for a weekend here and there.
One thing you may need to consider is there is a possibility you may decide that this isn't the greatest thing ever. Sometimes different contact makes us face different realities.... just something to consider.
First step though, call her mom and dad and talk about boundaries and set some of your own.
I agree with Belle - talk with her parents so you all can set your own guidelines prior to the call. They may also have some insights into things she would be curious about so you're not taken off guard.
If there is anything that she asks that you're not sure of how to respond, don't try and jump in with an answer right away. Let her know it's a good question and you'd like to think it over to make sure you can give her the best answer. That way you don't say anything too quickly (that you may regret later), and it lets her know you are taking the question seriously. I've had to do this a few times with my 6-year-old daughter.
Congrats, it'll be great for all of you!
belleinblue1978
There probably won't be much heavy talk. She's nine and probably doesn't care a lot about that stuff.
I had a lot of serious questions when I was nine. That's the age at which I had a fuller understanding of what it meant to be adopted.
So, she may have some serious questions.
I agree with the others who have said you should talk with the a-parents about boundaries and expectations.
L4R
I had a lot of serious questions when I was nine. That's the age at which I had a fuller understanding of what it meant to be adopted.
So, she may have some serious questions.
I agree with the others who have said you should talk with the a-parents about boundaries and expectations.
I didn't L4R, so I guess that goes to prove that all adopted people are different.
Advertisements
belleinblue1978
I didn't L4R, so I guess that goes to prove that all adopted people are different.
Exactly. That's why I mentioned it was a possibility. I didn't want this mom blindsided by a precocious or highly inquisitive child.
Will this child have serious questions? As you wrote, that answer it is going to be different for each child--based on his/ her chronological age, developmental age, personality, life experiences, etc.