Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello everyone! I have already written this once and I have no idea where it went. So if this is a duplicate post, I apologize. I have been stalking these boards for a while now, and my husband and I have finally decided to jump into the foster adopt world. But there are a few questions that I have that hopefully someone could answer for me and if these questions have been asked and answered somewhere else, please direct me in the right direction. So 1st I would like to know the difference between going through the county and going through an agency. Is once choice better than the other? Is there a pro and con list about the 2? My husband and I wanted to open our home to up to 3 children ages newborn to 3 years old. We currently have an extra bedroom but fear that we would need 2 extra bedrooms to accommodate possibly 3 children. So my question is should we wait and began this entire process once we move in July, or try for 2 children and then just change to 3 children then? Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can provide.
Welcome to the boards and to the world of foster care.
Texas is moving towards having everyone go through private agencies, so if you have an agency you are already connected with, I would go with them. At least talk with a couple of agencies and see what they have to offer and how they select families compared to the way CPS works.
Having an agency gives more individual attention to families. For example, when a child comes into care the agencies are usually notified and they look to see if any of their families would be a good fit. An agency usually will have a smaller pool of families so the potential of being asked and selected is greater. CPS is often too busy to focus on finding a family and they let the agencies do that.
My first placement came to me because a CPS worker asked my agency CW if she had anyone interested in an emergency placement of a baby. My now adopted daughter was placed with me before the CPS worker could even have gotten back to her office to begin to look for a suitable family.
As far as three children in one bedroom, it depends on how large the bedroom is. I think that you only need 40 square feet per child, in the bedroom. But there are regulations on having boys and girls in the same room. If they are all three or under it should not matter. Also, an infant can be in the parents room until they are two, so that might help with space until you move.]
Your homestudy will just need to be updated for the new home when you move, but if you are ready to start this adventure, start by taking the PRIDE classes and go from there. You'll know if it is the right time to proceed.
Good luck on your journey
Advertisements
The above answer is great.
I wouldn't wait. It may well take you til July anyway (though with my agency, you *could* do it in a month if you were on top of things). And you can always change things up after you move. But a 120 sq foot bedroom can have three. If you have an infant, you can have them in your room. There are still lots of ways to have a sibling group of three.
JFWIW, I do suggest you START with only ONE case, regardless of the number of children (though 1-2 is usually good for a first placement). It can be overwhelming to have multiple cases worth of visits and timelines going.
I definitely would go with an agency in order to get licensed in a decent amount of time, have plenty of support, and the like.
The above answer is great.
I wouldn't wait. It may well take you til July anyway (though with my agency, you *could* do it in a month if you were on top of things). And you can always change things up after you move. But a 120 sq foot bedroom can have three. If you have an infant, you can have them in your room. There are still lots of ways to have a sibling group of three.
JFWIW, I do suggest you START with only ONE case, regardless of the number of children (though 1-2 is usually good for a first placement). It can be overwhelming to have multiple cases worth of visits and timelines going.
I definitely would go with an agency in order to get licensed in a decent amount of time, have plenty of support, and the like.
Thank you for the advice! I plan to begin researching agencies soon! There are a few different ones here in region 8 so this should be interesting!
I like being with an agency! I think it gives an extra person on your side, as well as some extra benefits. Our agency gets grants for help with clothing. I like having someone outside of CPS to contact if I am having a hard time with something at CPS.
If I were you I would get started for the reasons others have already stated. We moved a few months after we first started fostering, and it wasn't a problem. We had our agency check our new house before we even moved in.
Good luck, and welcome!
Advertisements