Advertisements
Advertisements
Once again we are going on vacation! My son has severe Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and cannot tolerate a TSA pat down so no flying for us. We are going on our second cruise and, once again, the cruise line has been wonderfully accommodating.
For us it involves embarkation/debarkation and the muster drill, primarily. We have the accommodations in writing and have already spoken with the "Access Desk" coordinator on the ship. We will also receive an email with a contact for embarkation.
Much to my surprise, a cruise works very well for us. (I always think of myself as a "non-cruise" person) We can be around people but then, when it becomes overwhelming, we can get away and have some great "down time". My son has food hoarding issues and there is nothing like a cruise for unlimited food! I also like the ability for him to burn off some steam with physical exercise every day - something harder to do when a vacation involves a lot of driving.
I'm putting it out there because I learned about this from someone on a.com and want to remind folks who have special needs kids that it is worth a phone call to see if the cruise line can help. We used, and are using again, Norwegian Cruise Line as they have been extremely accommodating and because they sail from a port easily driven from our home.
I'm happy to answer questions if anyone has them. Besides, if you live in the northeast, just fantasizing about going some place warm is a great way to spend an evening!
I have always wanted to take a cruise with my kids. I could see how it would be a great fit for a PTSD or mild attachment kid. Unfortunately, I don't think they accommodate kids with developmental disabilities very well in their kids clubs and I am scared to get that far from medical care.
Advertisements
I can't speak to your particular family's needs however I would encourage anyone interested in taking a cruise to contact the cruise line directly. Some of the Access Coordinators have lots of experience and work very hard to make successful experiences for families.
Without speaking directly regarding the PP's comments, many of the Kids Clubs are adept at handling a variety of different types of issues. And, depending on the cruise line and the medical issues, some lines can work well.
I would encourage anyone who is interested in taking a cruise with their family to call several cruise lines, ask for the access desk, and discuss their needs. Some of the lines are doing a great job working with families.