Advertisements
Advertisements
ADOPTEES CHRISTIAN WRITING CONTEST ( Share with Adoptees 18 & Up )
Spring is on the horizon and in the month of May we celebrate Mother's Day. This year it is May 10th, 2015. As adoptees, we are keenly aware that we have been given the gift of LIFE. Regardless of the circumstances of our birth, there was a special birth mother that chose LIFE and carried us safety in her womb for 9 months. I don't know about you, but I have always embraced a soft and loving place in my heart for my birth mom. Sadly I was never able to meet her face-to-face before she passed away. In honor of all birth mothers I am asking adoptees or those orphaned since birth who carry love in their heart for LIFE to share your thankfulness, gratitude and loving and honoring sentiments to your birth mother and to God. Contest open to persons 18 and up. In 250 words or less share in a letter, a poem, a prayer or a song of praise. ( If you have already written something longer- feel free to share, but new writings strive to keep close to 250 words- a goal to be concise ) You may include a beautiful scripture verse in the Bible at the beginning, end or in the content of your piece. Feel free to share what God places on your heart. Be simple, poetic or creative, whatever way you are lead to express your praiseworthy sentiments. ( You may address your birth mother by her first name, if you know it, or you can just use the word Birth Mother or Dear Mother or another loving title.) Please prayerfully consider participating and share this with others you know that are adopted or those orphaned since birth. I would love to compile a collection of some of these letters to use to honor LIFE, and encourage birth mothers, women in crisis pregnancies, adoptees and others touched by adoption. Just imagine- your words, your expressions could save a precious life by touching a woman making a challenging pregnancy decision! PLEASE-DO NOT post your letters here. E-mail them to me at: jodymoreen@gmail.com and in the Subject line add- or send them to me via snail mail at:
Jody Moreen, 408 Christopher Ct. SE, Winter Haven, FL. 33884. PLEASE include your name, address, zip code, phone number and e-mail address at the end of your piece. Also state whether your entry is an original, or already published in any print or media source. Contest deadline is Easter Sunday April 5th, 2015- emailed or postmarked before Easter Sunday.******** ( see note at end of this posting )
A pre-selected group of adoptees and birth mothers will vote on their favorites ) Winning entries will be published on my Adoptees Anchored in Christ blog at:
adopteesanchoredinjesus@blogspot.com and also on Adoptees Caf : adopteescafe@blogspot.com
1st prize: $200.00
2nd prize: $100.00
3rd prize: $50
4th prize: $50
Honorable mentions: ( up to 10 depending on the amount of entries ) will receive their choice of a silver-toned Chosen Necklace containing the words ( Created/Chosen/Celebrated/Cherished) on a pendant from Dayspring, an Adoptee's Anchor -Christian mug or a new Adoption book of their choice from selections from my ever growing library )
******** If entries number less than 50 by the April 5th, 2015 deadline, participants will be notified by e-mail of an extended deadline- so please include your e-mail address with your entry. Feel free to write and inquire.
Questions about the contest can be sent to Jody at
jodymoreen@gmail.com
Judy,
You are welcome to your views but where you cross the line is this application of putting your views onto all adoptees:
As adoptees, we are keenly aware that we have been given the gift of LIFE. Regardless of the circumstances of our birth, there was a special birth mother that chose LIFE and carried us safety in her womb for 9 months.
It is abhorrent to me that you assume that every mother who ultimately chose adoption, first considered abortion. Unless, and until, every mother (the pastors wife, the school teacher, the CEO, the suburban housewife) are all lauded for not choosing abortion, but instead chose to carry to term in the same manner as your message - I soundly, and will forever reject this type of rhetoric applied only to mothers who ultimately chose adoption.
Kind regards,
Dickons
Advertisements
Dear Dickons- thanks for writing and sharing your feedback. I am sorry that it evoked such an intense response and caused you any confusion or pain. I made no reference as you are saying that all birth mothers considered abortion. None of my words stated that and in no way was there any intention of that. Again I am sorry if your reading my post brought you to that conclusion. I have navigating adoption circles for 20 years as a volunteer facilitator of local adoption triad support groups for adult adoptees, birth parents and adoptive parents. I have only held all persons touched by adoption in the highest regard and with the utmost respect and honor. Again, I am sad that you read into what was written. The contest is for those adoptees who feel called to write and share their gratitude and honor to their birth mothers and to God for the gift of Life.
Jodi,
I really don't care how long you've been navigating adoption circles - your language speaks to all, not some, not even most, rather all adoptees and no one speaks for everyone.
Tell me the last time you thanked the pastor's wife for specifically choosing life when she found out she was pregnant. If you haven't then there is your answer on what you mean by your post as in instead of abortion.
You didn't cause me any pain or confusion - you lumping all adoptees into one mindset is what is wrong.
Kind regards,
Dickons
Jodi,
I took away the same thing that Dickons did. I also took away that I need to be eternally grateful for something that non-adopted people do not.
I refuse to be held up as a poster child for the anti abortion crowd and I refuse to be made to be grateful for something that others don't have to be.
My posting is a Contest not a Discussion topic and this forum is the THANKS for LIfe forum of the adoptees section so. The Contest is an invitation and specifies those who embrace gratitude for Life- so I am not entering into discussion by those who want to debate or share their feelings. There are plenty of appropriate forums to do that elsewhere. This is a Contest posted in Thanks for Life.
Advertisements
Thus far, I haven't read anything that denies your right to have a contest.
I think your wording just rubbed some the wrong way. You wrote, "As adoptees, we are keenly aware that we have been given the gift of LIFE." That statement is all inclusive. So, yes, you will hear from adoptees who would prefer you not speak in absolutes
I know there are adoptees who think differently from what I do. That's why I try my best not to make all-inclusive statements. (I'm sure that, at times, I've failed.)
I can see where the message sounds like it's alluding that all adoptees escaped abortion, but Jody said that she didn't mean that so I think we should move on.
Respectfully,
Spud :Chewie: