Advertisements
Advertisements
First, a little about me. I'm 26, single, male, live in a 2 bed 1.5 bath place, work for the U.S. Govt, have a dependable car, insurance, etc.
As for the questions:
1-I'm seriously considering becoming a foster parent (big need in my county with abt 350 kids in the system and only about 20 homes), what should I know before beginning the process? Are there things I could get together that will make it easier?
2-Because of my age, I'm thinking toddlers as I feel too old would get into the grey area of being the authority figure. Plus, if I stick with toddlers, I can just get toys, car seat, bed, etc for 1 age group. With that, I definitely don't want a teen, but would consider up to maybe 3rd grade. What are thoughts from people who have "been there, done that" on being a young-ish single foster parent? What age range is best?
3-While my parents live about 90 minutes away, we don't get along too well. Would that hinder the process?
4-For those that are single, honestly how did it affect your social life becoming a foster parent?
5-What do you regret the most about becoming a foster parent?
Thanks in advance!
(PS-anyone on here in northwest Georgia?)
I sounds to me like you'd make a good foster parent. I'm still (barely) in my 20s, and hubby and I are waiting on our first placement. In our county, they have an orientation every month, so you can go and ask questions, and then send in an application if it's something you still want to do. We went to the orientation in July, and just finally got put on the vacancy list two days ago. It is a long process, but we have three bio kids so at least I'm not just sitting by the phone waiting. :popcorn:
Advertisements
Kitkat, what is the process like? I know it involves an application, background check, and home visits. But what kind of questions do they ask? What all do they look at in your life?
In Ohio, you have to take 36 hours of training, and the home study took a while. There were a lot of personal questions about our childhoods, our family relationships, how we would feel about certain situations, etc. We had to give them a record of our finances, pet vaccinations, proof of income, proof of residency for several years. We had to have a fireman do an inspection to make sure we had working fire detectors and a fire extinguisher, as well as a written evacuation plan. I think that's about it besides the background check.
What all did they ask about your relationship with your family? (I'm only asking because my relationship with my family is not really the best...)
I don't think they were very specific. Something like, 'Did you have a happy childhood?' Or 'What is your relationship like now with your parents?' For us, it was all on paper, and we had weeks to fill it out, so I had plenty of time to think about our answers. As long as you word it carefully, you should be ok. Be honest. Tell them you don't get along with your parents, but they live over an hour away, and will not be a part of a foster child's life if that's the case. We did have to provide references, so keep that in mind. I don't remember if any of them had to be family or not.
Advertisements
Thanks! I don't think that references will be a problem unless they do need a relative, I work with the nursery and elementary group at my church and I'm sure I can pull several of the parents to do references for me. One kid in particular comes to mind (as long as they exclude my joking threats to kidnap their 1 year old who is so adorable and sweet :wings: )
Thinkingabtfostering
What all did they ask about your relationship with your family? (I'm only asking because my relationship with my family is not really the best...)
They will likely ask you about your family relationships and will want to know some general information about the reasons for that situation. It shouldn't hinder you though.... I don't have a relationship with either of my parents and it didn't impact my ability to be a foster parent.
It probably depends on the state. In my state we (my husband and I) had to provide 4 references - 4 non-relative and each of us had to provide a relative reference. But it could be any relative. I also had an eh relationship with parents - that did not affect things at all. We discussed it in the home study but that was it.
Good luck!
We are in CA and are awaiting approval. We had to do orientation with fingerprints and background checks, 27 hours of training and our home study which included multiple interviews together and individual (14 hours). As stated before we needed financial as you are expected to cover your own expenses, employment verification, pet vaccinations, fire escape plan and yes 4 references only 2 could be family. The questions were in depth including your childhood, how were you disciplined, how your family handled disagreement, sibling and extended family relationships. We are not married at this point but that added questions who would take the children (if adopted) in the event you no longer could care for them. How would you meet their cultural needs, how do you feel about bio parents and their families. How do you handle grief and loss, parenting style, hobbies, health clearance from you doctor with their recommendation regarding your ability to foster. We had to make our home child friendly, have smoke detectors, first aide kit, medication lock box. They will want to know what is your social support system like, do you know the schools, what are your plans for child care, who are the medical providers in your area. And if you meet someone and they move in with you they too will need to be background checked. It does seem overwhelming. I would go to the orientation and ask questions. Look at your state and county website for information. Decide if you want to go county where the kids all originate or FFA. And remember DCFS doesn't cover everything. What will you do if the kids are sick and need to stay at home? Your CW will also make a recommendation for an age group...it may not be toddlers. School age may be more appropriate for you. You will need to make your room kid friendly in decor.
Advertisements