Advertisements
Advertisements
Thought I'd start a thread on stats for the first years after a state restores adoptee's right to the original birth certificates...I know most won't go the full ten years that Oregon did - but if you find a news article or state page listing stats - please link it to this thread with the state listed in the title.
I also know that many adoptee's born in a state that restored the laws - won't know the law changed right away - or later - until they stumble on the news somewhere. This thread for instance...
Kind regards,
Dickons
Thought they stopped at 10...but I was wrong...
May 31, 2014 - Fourteen Year Anniversary Report
------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------
Total records ordered since implementation: 11,838
Total records issued since implementation: 11,224
Total Contact Preference Forms submitted by birth parents: 675
Number asking for contact with adoptee: 553
Number asking for contact through an intermediary: 36
Number asking for no contact: 86
Average Annual Record Orders
The following table summarizes the average number of new orders per month for preadoption birth records received by the Center for Health Statistics annually.
Year​ ​Average New Orders Per Month
2001 293.4
2002 74.2
2003 61.4
2004 46.8
2005 38.8
2006 39.2
2007 34.2
2008 35.3
2009 33.3
2010 32.8
2011 20.1
2012 28.7
2013 21.7
​2014 ​24.3
[url]https://public.health.oregon.gov/BirthDeathCertificates/GetVitalRecords/Pages/58update.aspx[/url]
Advertisements
2005 - 2011 are all links
Quick view:
2012 - 75
2011 - 105
2010 - 115
2009 - 100
2008 - 121
2007 - 139
2006 - 138
2005 - 779
I didn't tally the number of Contact preferences that would prefer no contact except the first year - a whopping 11...
[url=http://www.sos.nh.gov/vitalrecords/Preadoption_birth_records.html]Pre-Adoption Birth Records - Vital Records[/url]
Updated April 2015
Since the enactment of PA 96-0895 in May 2010, the Illinois Department of Public Health has issued the following non-certified original birth records to adopted persons or their surviving relatives:
Original birth records issued as filed 12,011
Original birth records issued with identifying information removed 64
Original birth records not located / No record statements issued 223
The same law provided for a birth parent preference packet to be completed allowing birth parents to select their preferences. The following are updated statistics:
Birth parents who agreed to release the complete original birth record 315
Birth parents who requested identifying information be removed before release 470
Birth parents who filed medical questionnaires to be released 601
[url=http://www.idph.state.il.us/vitalrecords/adoption/Pages/iarmie_statistics.htm]Adoption[/url]
[url=http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:kJZmZ7dOrDcJ:www.idph.state.il.us/vitalrecords/adoption/Pages/iarmie_statistics.htm+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us]Adoption[/url]
This is a cache version of the page. For whatever reason, I can rarely access State of Illinois websites, except through cache.
As of January 2015:
OBCs issued: 11,614
OBCs issued (but redacted) : 61
OBC not located: 221
Advertisements
But, you were able to retrieve the most current information, which is great.
I don't know why I cannot access State of Illinois resources. It's so odd.
Wow, thanks for posting this. I'm an amom trying to get my lawyer to give me a copy of my son's OBC before his finalization (which is MONDAY) - his birthmom doesn't even have one (nor care) but I care, in case my son ever wants it. (This is Louisiana..)
I'm hopeful that the closed state might open then at some point and he'll (or I'll) be able to get him a copy if I can't make this happen in the next 72 hours :\
Wow, thanks for posting this. I'm an amom trying to get my lawyer to give me a copy of my son's OBC before his finalization (which is MONDAY) - his birthmom doesn't even have one (nor care) but I care, in case my son ever wants it. (This is Louisiana..)
I'm hopeful that the closed state might open then at some point and he'll (or I'll) be able to get him a copy if I can't make this happen in the next 72 hours :\
Because a lot of overseas countries have had their records unsealed for a long time, I thought I'd see if I could find some figures for other countries with a similar background.
All I've found so far is some figures for NZ:
[url=http://adoptionnz.com/?page_id=118]History of Adoption in NZ | Adoption New Zealand[/url]
WHERE ARE WE NOW?
Adoptees since the Adult Adoption Information Act 1985
■22,927 adult adoptees have applied for identifying birth information by Dec. 1996
■The majority of adult adoptees in stranger adoptions have now asked for and received their birth information
■Most have found the search and reunion a positive therapeutic journey
■Support groups have helped in working through joys and sorrows, as adoptees integrate the new knowledge and experience into their self-identity. Knowing the whole story increases the sense of wholeness and belonging.
Birth parents since 1985
■6,163 birth parents have applied for identifying information on their now adult adoptee by December 1996
■The formation of support groups has helped them work through grief, anger and joys
■Birth fathers are now showing increasing interest in obtaining information and reunion
Adoptive parents
The 1985 submissions on the Adult Adoption Information Bill indicated adoptive parents were split, half in favour and half against. That has changed. Most now support the move. The significant differences between biological and adoptive parenthood are increasingly acknowledged. Likewise the need for most adoptees to search their origins. Most have found that reunion has strengthened the relationship between adoptees and adoptive parents. There has been a marked swing to openness, and open adoption.
Vetoes
The number of active vetoes placed by birth parents reached a peak of 3,350 but fell to 993 by the end of 1996. Vetoes placed by adoptees reached a peak in 1,240 but fell to 357. The need for vetoes has greatly receded.
Reunions
With over 20,000 reunions the story of adoption is now pouring out and the picture is clearer. Most searching adoptees want to know who their birth parents are and want a reunion. Reunions are not an end in themselves. They are the beginning of a new phase of completing the adoption circle. Some reunions just exchange information others form on-going relationships.
Research indicates
■There is little change in existing relationships between the adoptee and adoptive parents. In most cases the quality of the relationship improved. Adoptive and birth parents need not be in a conflict, it is unique opportunity for both
■Adopted people can successfully integrate two or more families into their lives. Finding birth relatives does not mean they relinquish their adoptive ones
■Regardless of what they learn, most adopted people dont regret searching
Advertisements
It's been less than a year yet, here in Washington, but I'll be interested to see the numbers when DOH releases them....
My sister was in the same boat as you were. She trawled the Internet and everywhere she could looking for resources that would help, but it wasn't until she found that she realized she could've done without all the extra hefty expenses! :/
Attachments