Advertisements
Advertisements
I've seen over the years so many discussions on what is so beautiful, to tacky, to dismissive - whether it is a meme or an adoption joke - like the picture of the twins and one is crying because he was just told he was adopted. Other themes are the parallels to animal adoption right through to the adopt a highway sign...
What I tend to see more often is that the adoptive parents are far more vocal about hating any adoption type funny and love on all the super-sweet adoption sayings. Getting back to the funnies - they feel their child will be hurt...
Which leads into the reason for the post...
Intent vs Impact - is one part...
AND
What happens in a world where everyone is so super-sensitive that anything someone says is deemed offensive to someone else (yes, some things are completely valid to be offended to (racism, sexism)...and pretty soon we have an entire society that:
A) feels the right to do anything they want without societal judgement...
B) No one dares to even start a conversation about any topic because they are being RUDE and INSENSITIVE....
C) Without society weighing in with concerns to consider and converse about and find a common ground (what a lot of c words...) - what will society look like in a couple generations - good or dismal... is it a society that does not communicate on anything more serious than how beautiful those tulips are? And even then there is likely someone who finds tulips offensive because the bulbs are imported from Holland, and people should buy home made products...
Which brings me to Intent vs. Impact - how do we find the middle ground, especially in regards to adoption.
So, finally, were you raised to let the minor stuff roll off your shoulders because that's what your parents did? Does that serve you well today? Or were you raised that anything adoption related was sacrosanct, and you needed to be offended by even the use of the word REAL instead of biological? Were adoption funnies offensive? Did that reaction by your parents serve you well? (In respect to the serve you well - I mean overall in your general life vs just adoption specific areas...)
Does any of that make sense? Are AP's too sensitive at times? Why? What areas do you think they should be more sensitive too and what they should just fluff off?
Kind regards,
Dickons
Dickons
I've seen over the years so many discussions on what is so beautiful, to tacky, to dismissive - whether it is a meme or an adoption joke - like the picture of the twins and one is crying because he was just told he was adopted. Other themes are the parallels to animal adoption right through to the adopt a highway sign...
What I tend to see more often is that the adoptive parents are far more vocal about hating any adoption type funny and love on all the super-sweet adoption sayings. Getting back to the funnies - they feel their child will be hurt...
AND
What happens in a world where everyone is so super-sensitive that anything someone says is deemed offensive to someone else (yes, some things are completely valid to be offended to (racism, sexism)...and pretty soon we have an entire society that:
B) No one dares to even start a conversation about any topic because they are being RUDE and INSENSITIVE....
C) Without society weighing in with concerns to consider and converse about and find a common ground (what a lot of c words...) - what will society look like in a couple generations - good or dismal... is it a society that does not communicate on anything more serious than how beautiful those tulips are? And even then there is likely someone who finds tulips offensive because the bulbs are imported from Holland, and people should buy home made products...
Which brings me to Intent vs. Impact - how do we find the middle ground, especially in regards to adoption.
So, finally, were you raised to let the minor stuff roll off your shoulders because that's what your parents did? Does that serve you well today? Or were you raised that anything adoption related was sacrosanct, and you needed to be offended by even the use of the word REAL instead of biological? Were adoption funnies offensive? Did that reaction by your parents serve you well? (In respect to the serve you well - I mean overall in your general life vs just adoption specific areas...)
Does any of that make sense? Are AP's too sensitive at times? Why? What areas do you think they should be more sensitive too and what they should just fluff off?
Kind regards,
Dickons
Even though I have no particular fondness "OMG I'm adopted" memes (they're boring and overdone), I am unlikely to cry over them - I tend to just yawn and move on. I have to admit though that I find the following meme rather cute:
[url=http://www.bajiroo.com/2014/08/funny-penguin-memes-20-pics/funny-adopted-cat-penguin-funny-penguin-memes-pics/]funny-adopted-cat-penguin-funny-penguin-memes-pics - Bajiroo.com[/url]
In regards to APs and the use of the word real, I came across this meme created by an AP blogger:
[url]https://barrentoblessed.wordpress.com/2015/02/23/just-for-fun-adoption-meme/[/url]
Can't say I find it particularly funny - must be an AP thing.
Advertisements
Dickons
AND
Kind regards,
Dickons
Even though I have no particular fondness "OMG I'm adopted" memes (they're boring and overdone), I am unlikely to cry over them - I tend to just yawn and move on. I have to admit though that I find the following meme rather cute:
[url=http://www.bajiroo.com/2014/08/funny-penguin-memes-20-pics/funny-adopted-cat-penguin-funny-penguin-memes-pics/]funny-adopted-cat-penguin-funny-penguin-memes-pics - Bajiroo.com[/url]
In regards to APs and the use of the word real, I came across this meme created by an AP blogger:
[url]https://barrentoblessed.wordpress.com/2015/02/23/just-for-fun-adoption-meme/[/url]
Can't say I find it particularly funny - must be an AP thing.
Can't imagine how I'd make it thru life without the tough skin that my Dad helped me grow thru constant fun teasing and joking around, and the delicious comic relief I've found along the way.
Can't even imagine what it must be like to not be able to take a joke or a little sarcasm with out getting bent or kicked in the mud. I can only imagine life could get pretty miserable.
Jokes, etc.... laughter really is the best medicine for me. :woohoo:
Advertisements
BethVA62
Can't imagine how I'd make it thru life without the tough skin that my Dad helped me grow thru constant fun teasing and joking around, and the delicious comic relief I've found along the way.
Can't even imagine what it must be like to not be able to take a joke or a little sarcasm with out getting bent or kicked in the mud. I can only imagine life could get pretty miserable.
Jokes, etc.... laughter really is the best medicine for me. :woohoo:
I was just thinking about you Beth - nice to have you back!
I just went to check out your last post - I didn't realise you'd been away - hope you had a wonderful relaxing time.
Jokes, etc.... laughter really is the best medicine for me.
And for the rest of us - that's why I'm glad you're back!
:happydance: :banana: :wings: :rockband: :rockband: :rockband:
Wasn't really back, just found a signal for my magic phone they made me bring, a place to recharge and was actually able/allowed to post to this site!!! which is a rare thing lately.
Was happy just to sit with ya'll a while tho even if I can only read! Needed somewhere sane.... you know you can never get away from "it" even in the middle of a swamp.
I am really back home at "work" today, but only for a bit, found a wrench in the plans... no surprise to me!.
If it lets me post again I will tell my latest wrench story, but it's heavy so.... expect it to be told with humor. It's often the only way I can spit out the heavy stuff sometimes.
beatricesmith
In regards to adoption jokes and memes, I don't like meanspirited ones - the others I just let roll over me.
I agree with that. After spending so much time with teen boys and old men joking... whew it can get ugly. When it gets passive aggressive - "it ain't funny no more"
Advertisements
alright them, getting lucky today.
My heavy (probably offensive to many, especially here) humorous tale:
I caught a baby.
Can't find any other sensible words to tell it yet - still freaking out a bit:eek: still shaking LOL.
I caught a baby. A brand new baby, straight out of the gate. In a shack, in the swamp, off the tracks near the river. I was the first face she saw (poor thing) And I did it all with a pot on my head.
And yes, I am at my/our home now with mama and sweet baby and her GREAT GREAT GREAT Grandpa.
(I never do this, but I can't help it, I can't quit singing her name)
Josephina Annabella :wings:
I'm sort of nervous about going back into the woods LOL no telling what else is out there!
BethVA62
alright them, getting lucky today.
My heavy (probably offensive to many, especially here) humorous tale:
I caught a baby.
Can't find any other sensible words to tell it yet - still freaking out a bit:eek: still shaking LOL.
I caught a baby. A brand new baby, straight out of the gate. In a shack, in the swamp, off the tracks near the river. I was the first face she saw (poor thing) And I did it all with a pot on my head.
And yes, I am at my/our home now with mama and sweet baby and her GREAT GREAT GREAT Grandpa.
(I never do this, but I can't help it, I can't quit singing her name)
Josephina Annabella :wings:
I'm sort of nervous about going back into the woods LOL no telling what else is out there!
HOLY COW!!!
That's so amazing...and freaky...easier I think being the one doing the birthing part...than the catching...
:woohoo:
D
Advertisements
Belle,
That's exactly what I have been saying every hour for a week now LOL
Holy Cow I caught a baby!
I thought of you Belle :) when mama was picking a name. All of our names are in there, mama's too. It would have been Annabelle (like her grandmothers name) but there was an Ella in our group...
Jo says he is just glad she didn't name her Pothead, since that was the last thing she said before she had her "Lady, you have a pot on your head."
Dickons
HOLY COW!!!
That's so amazing...and freaky...easier I think being the one doing the birthing part...than the catching...
:woohoo:
D
I dunno! Holy Cow is all I can say LOL
I'm just so very thankful that everyone is OK. And glad I wasn't with the other two women cowering in the corner terrified and passing out! Glad I had one experienced Dad with me.
For a decade the boys managed to be in my path, now it seems I've found the path of girls. Got a couple wild girls waiting on the mountain for me, they live in the bottom with their "parents". Gave them a job holding down the fort while I am away. A runaway at home, now a new young mama and baby girl too. And not to mention all the sweethearts waiting on our soldiers who seem to not want to leave my home.
Glad I got the boys and girls in different decades tho! That would have been an impossible mix.
It was a traumatic event for sure. More for Mama than me I am certain. I am feeling the trauma today tho, managed to delay it until I got the girls tucked in with Mz C. Now I am finally free to crack LOL