Advertisements
Advertisements
This question is for a relative. I remember reading something on here at one point, but I can't find it or remember who it was, so I'm hoping someone may be able to help.
The person I'm asking for was born in NY in the 60's. They did contact the registry in NY, have the non-identifying info, but were told they could not get anything else unless the birth parent contacted the registry first and okay'ed giving information. Is there any way around this? There is a pretty strong need for medical background, given some things going on. This person would love more than that, but even getting medical information would be wonderful. Any suggestions?
This question is for a relative. I remember reading something on here at one point, but I can't find it or remember who it was, so I'm hoping someone may be able to help.
The person I'm asking for was born in NY in the 60's. They did contact the registry in NY, have the non-identifying info, but were told they could not get anything else unless the birth parent contacted the registry first and okay'ed giving information. Is there any way around this? There is a pretty strong need for medical background, given some things going on. This person would love more than that, but even getting medical information would be wonderful. Any suggestions?
Ruth, it is too bad the adoptee had the bad luck of being born in New York. In order to qualify for their record to be unsealed and to actually get those records vs a GAL getting them and conducting a search. 1. They must be seen by a physician licensed in New York (regardless if the live in Alaska or New Jersey), a letter from the physician needs to state why they need immediate relief to treat the medical condition...in other words NY sucks. It is doable, and I know there is a form to fill out so may be able to do it without a lawyer. I found a document with the actual law - you have to scroll way down past the document to find the scanned pages of the adoption law - the hand written page 21 has the text #4. Good Cause for disclosure...
I'm posting the link here (not sure if it is you that has problem with links - select it with your mouse, click or select copy, and then paste it in the address bar) of that doesn't work let me know.
Let me know if that is possible (the doctor in NY) and I will dig deeper and get more info and links...to continue on that course.
The other way is to access Search Angels who've been at it for decades - I can send you some links. They don't charge but it could take time and may not produce anything.
Kind regards,
Dickons
Advertisements
Thanks, Dickons. In looking at the link, it doesn't seem like they will qualify. Physician in NY would not be possible, and I'm not even sure they could prove immediate need. One of those situations where the only way to prove the records could be helpful would be by seeing them. I would appreciate search angel information; it seems like that might be the only option.
Ruth just in case - I sent you a private message - if you don't get it let me know and I will recreate it...
D
Thanks, Dickons. I did get your pm, but I couldn't figure out how to reply. I passed the information on, and I'm hopeful that it will help them.
Thanks, Dickons. I did get your pm, but I couldn't figure out how to reply. I passed the information on, and I'm hopeful that it will help them.
It's confusing - took me forever but it's at the bottom of the message for future reference. If that doesn't pan out come back and I will provide others people and places...
Advertisements
Hi Ruth!
I was wondering, any luck yet?? I'm from Canada but I was able to get all medical records from all hospitals in my area. So I was wondering if you have made progress.
Best wishes,
Cece
Ruth, just popping in quickly as I saw this interview with Pricilla Sharp who I talked about. Thought it would give you a bit of a feel for her for your friend.
D
Last update on July 19, 9:58 am by Dickons.
Attachments