Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello, everyone!
I'm brand new to this community, and I love all the support that I've seen in the forums so far. The hubby and I have been working to adopt for about two years now, and we are so very close to being certified with DHS! We are also certified with Indian Child Welfare (ICW), but so far DHS has been much more promising. We don't have any children in mind at the moment, but I've been hearing positive things about our case file, so I believe (and hope) that we'll be getting a call soon. This both terrifies and excites me!
Anyway, there's hardly any adoption support in my town, so I thought I'd join and ask you lovely folks if you have any tips, tricks or advice for me. I'm 26, hubs is 32, and this will be our first child.
Since we are close to DHS certification, I've kind of hit an "anxious nesting" stage, but it's hard to nest when you don't know what you're going to get. Do you have any advice on things I absolutely need (barring furniture) that would make this stage easier to get through?
Thank you, and I look forward to being a part of this community! :)
Thank you for your advice, but I do not have any foster kids at the moment. Can you explain how my profile is too identifying? Thank you!
Advertisements
Since you are using your full name and picture. It took me less than a minute to ascertain that you live in the REMOVED TO HELP USER PRESERVE HER ANONYMITY. Give me a little longer and I could find out a whole bunch more information. Which since you already mentioned you have a small foster area there if I were from that area and had children in the system and you started describing the new 4yo boy (for example) in your care even if you gave hima nickname I would probably be able to guess who it was. Its for both your and the childrens protection that you try to be more anonymous especially if going forward you want to use the boards as a sounding board when you do have placements.
That being said I did something similar when I signed up and ended up getting a new profile so that people could not figure out it was me.
WELCOME!!! As for things you can get ready if you have not already a lot depends on the age range you have signed up for.
Last update on September 25, 6:43 am by AlwaysRoom4More 2.
Thank you! I removed my name, and I will remove/change my picture. Everything else should be vague enough for your liking.
Like I said, I'm brand new.
As for age ranges, we're looking for 0-3.
No worries as I said I did something similar when I first started here too.
Since you have a fairly low range you may want to pick up an outfit in each size of your range that way if you get a child in nothing but a diaper you have something to put them in while you go to the store. I also bought a convertable carseat that takes a child 5lbs-65lbs that way I am pretty well covered for almost any little placement.
Thank you! I didn't think about getting outfits for every stage in that range. Now I have an excuse to go clothes shopping!
As for the car seat, we did the same thing, so we're good there.
Advertisements
A bunk bed or bed with a trundle is a good idea.. i spent time painting walls, shopping for bedding. Making a generically happy space
good luck!