Advertisements
Advertisements
It would depend on either or both state?
What they would look at also is how the child is adjusting emotionally ( mainly ) to being a part of your Family??
Do you know what the child is like in temperament at this point in timing or stage of the Adoption??
Advertisements
Every state is different. It also depends on the child and how far you are traveling to visit.
For us, we adopted from a neighboring state. We did a meeting with his team where he was there but didn't really interact much. Then we did a meeting where we took him to a park with his foster mother there too. The next visit we took him to play without his foster mother. The next visit we picked him up and brought him to our house for a few hours. Next we had him at our house for an overnight visit. Last visit was a weekend. Then he moved in.
In his case, he adjusted very quickly and I think he could have moved earlier and been ok. It was good to have time to get to know him and get things set though.
I have a friend who adopted from a state that was quite a distance away. I believe they visited once to be matched, then did calls and video chat. Then they went out for a week. Lots of small visits till they took them home at the end of the week.