Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello, I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with Maine's court system. Our Foster child's case is up for TPR soon, we have had our 3.5 year old foster child for 13 months. They came into the system at 8 months old, was reunified last year with their mother then two months after case was closed was taken back into the system because of drugs. Mother started working case plan less than 5 months ago and now has had baby addicted to drugs(methadone) that is still with her. She goes to all the visits but yet doesnt work, go to school and and just recently moved in with new baby's father after living in a rooming house. We were told the state doesn't have a strong case for trp for the mother, I fear child is going to be reunited again just to be returned into the system more damaged or lost in the system and be in limbo. Mother doesn't see anything wrong with her life and says that it is the systems fault. Does anyone have any insight on how strict they are with the parents. Any advise would help.
Advertisements
I am a foster parent in Maine.
You say she attends all the visits and started working the plan 5 months ago. The question is...is she doing the work? Is she testing clean? Is she consistently working her case plan? If she is working the plan...no matter how long it took her to get it together...the judge will likely give her the benefit of the doubt. This might be something you could discuss with the GAL. In my experience, the GAL is your foster child's (and your) greatest ally.
I find it odd that they would keep the older child in care and let the younger child remain in the home. I've seen it happen, but it seems to me that if one child is in potential danger, they both are.