Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi Foster moms and dads!
I'm in need of some advice from all of you. I am 20 years old, graduated, a hairstylist and super passionate about becoming a foster mom. I live in Illinois and can't start the process until I turn 21. I still have 11.5 months to go... The reason I am so passionate is because when I was 11 months I was taken away and then given to my Grandmother. My parents to this day still have a drug addiction problem. I feel terrible for what hundreds of thousands of kids face. Many worse than what I even faced. It truly breaks my heart.
Now while this has been weighing on my heart for years to help them I am just itching to turn 21 not to party or be of age to drink but to help and love on the children that need it most. In the mean time, how can I currently help foster families? What can I do now while I wait to turn 21? I want to hear from those of you who are currently foster families because you would know best! :)
Also-- what about those who need daycare for their foster kids?? Could I do anything to help there? I know it's hard finding places that accept state pay or are reasonable prices. If have to be one a daycare then right? Or what about babysitting? Don't they have respite care for that though?
I'm kind of all over the place, just a million ideas but not sure what way I can best help! So please, tell me what you think!
Advertisements
Welcome to our ' World of Octopussing ' !!!
I would go to the ( They should be free or no cost). Explain that you are ' shopping for the future.' From this you will see a lot of information ( They try and make sure also. That you have rationally thought out and are emotionally ready to accept their challenge ).
In regards to Child Care ?
Each state is different in their own regulations...
I would post your Day Care or Child Care as well as Private School questions on ' State Forums ' page.
My state you would be willing or are able to do ' Respite Care ' at the age of 18.
' Respite Care ' would give you experience and an insight to expect what is ahead in your Future of Foster Care,
As well as ' Connect and Learn ' from Parents Moms and Dads who are already in process.
I would if I were just starting out look for other Volunteer Opportunities. Fundraising, Surprise Foster Families with Pizza or some type of meal ,Our Hospital Systems they always need people to rock or ' One on One Care ' for ' Babies and Children who are Chemical Dependent '
Last update on February 27, 8:35 am by Juli Hawley.
With Volunteering also, I would look at utilizing personal interests!!
ie Photography ( all that you have to do is make Kids smile and laugh). Sewing, Talking on the Telephone or Public Relations and Marketing etc....
Advertisements