Advertisements
Advertisements
This past week, we have had several new neighbors move in and when we met them, I wasn't sure what to say when the conversation came around to our son. Do we say he is adopted when we first meet people? It's not like it's a secret or anything. So when you meet people, do you tell them your child was adopted or do you not mention it unless it is brought up?
I haven't brought mine home yet, but my plan is when it comes to new people, just not to mention it unless it's relevant, then to be casual about it. In time, I'm sure it will be something we don't give a second thought to. Of course, it will also depend on how open you are about the topic with your son. I intend to speak openly about the topic with mine from the time he can understand.
Advertisements
Well, just don't bring up the topic if it has not been mentioned in the conversation. Your son might grow up thinking it's bad to be adopted or that it might make him different. If the neighbors outright ask you, then tell them but no need to inform them.