Advertisements
Advertisements
We have been idiots for the past three years. Three years ago, we took on our nieces children. We have been too broke to get the adoptions done. There was definitely a point where we could have convinced her to sign the papers.
The niece is taking the older of the two back with her. We really don't have any standing. She would probably pass CPS scrutiny with no problem NOW. She appears to be clean. They have adequate housing (in a socially terrible apartment complex.) Getting him will increase her food stamp income, etc.
Initially it was "until she got her act together." We had them non-stop from September of 2014 until last July.
It all went well the first year. The mother and grandmother both were blissful in their lives (and out of ours). We tried to keep up communications, but the two of them avoided us (they seemingly wanted to just forget it.) We actually scheduled a visit, drove two hours and the mother "forgot" and went out of town. At some point, the grandmother (half sister / reared separately) wound up failing at life and in our house. We want rid of her, but what do we do, drop her off at the Salvation Army? (More on that later.)
She (the grandmother) was in and out of our house for about six months. She went to her daughter's when the child went there. It was nothing but chaos. Less than 3 months later they both were back. Since then she has kept us scared to death to do anything. She lets the kids run amok. She shows displeasure at anything we do. My wife and I literally go in our room and whisper to discuss anything. It is hell.
She treats the older one differently. She treats the younger one like he is ours. She treats the older one like he is a little god.
I just need someone to sound this off of.
I am a bit confused. Was this a foster situation with CPS involvement or a sort of favor to your niece? Do you still have custody of them all? Do you have legal custody, guardianship or power of attorney?
Advertisements