Advertisements
Advertisements
We are fostering a newborn whose mom tested positive for drugs at his birth. He stayed in the hospital for 10 days. When he came to us, he had a few muscle twitches but no other signs of drug withdrawal. He has a very sensitive GI system. I have trialed him on 5 different formulas. His main symptoms are constipation and gas.Finally I put him on Enfamil Reguline which is a lower iron (1.2 units versus 1.8 or 1.9 units per ounce). He did very well for about 2 months. Now he has started teething. As a result, he started having diarrhea again. This led to diaper rash which led to a yeast infection. So, following the doctor's suggestion, I switched him back to Enfamil Gentleease. For 2 days, everything was good. On the 3rd day, he starting straining with bowel movements and had a very tight stomach. Yes, the Gentlease has led to more solid BM's. But, they have also led to more pain for the baby.
Any suggestions?
I wouldn't make any changes to his diet without checking with the pediatrician first, particularly since he has a sensitive tummy. However, I would ask the doctor about giving him a little diluted baby prune juice. Our pediatrician recommended 2ozs, as needed and to dilute it half and half (1oz prune juice, 1oz water). I find apple juice works pretty well too.
Advertisements