Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello all. I was adopted as an infant back in the 1960s. Fifteen years ago I successfully located my birth parents. My birth father was long deceased but my birth mother was alive, well and receptive to a reunion. It ended up turning out quite well and we remained in regular contact.
Just a month ago I learned that my birth mother had passed away after battling several ailments for a while. She had a son after she gave me up, she spoke about him on occasion and she said she nearly told him about me but never actually went through with it. I learned of her passing via Facebook and I posted a brief condolence message. Her son read the message and contacted me re: how I knew her.
What would you do in this situation? On one hand I'd like to tell him, he's an only child and both parents (different father than me) are deceased. Perhaps he'd like to know. On the other hand I certainly don't want to drop any drama into his life or give him any cause to resent or be angry with his mother. I'm also kind of torn about betraying her confidence. At the very beginning she asked me not to contact him and she (jokingly) said that she really didn't care after she was gone. And now she is. So I'm going back and forth with it. What do you think?