Advertisements
Advertisements
I’d love some advice on naming our second adopted daughter.
Our first daughter came to us at 4 years old and we kept her name as it was. She’s 8 now and we are about to welcome a second daughter through a different bio family into our home. We will bring this baby girl home straight from the hospital and will be able to choose her first name with the birthparents choosing her middle names.
We have a few names picked out, but one of the options is my own middle name, which coincides with our new daughter’s birth month. It has a lot of meaning and would be special to me, but I’m worried that it is “too“ meaningful, and could potentially make my older daughter feel left out or sad. What if my new daughter and I are naturally closer, and our name connection is like vinegar in the wound to my older daughter? What if my new daughter resents me for naming her after me and creating a division between her and her sister? Or our relationship isn’t close and she feels annoyed that we share the same name?
The truth is that they were two very different situations, and I am delighted at the thought of naming one of my children, and something close to my heart to boot. But I don’t want to do it at the expense of the security, attachment and feelings of my other children (we have 4 boys as well - one we got to name and the name was just a favourite, no special meaning attached other than it was the one we’d liked since starting our parenting journey).
Thank you for your experience and advice!
Sarah