Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi Terri!
Thank you for considering adoption. I am an adult adoptee, who was adopted a few months after birth. I don't remember any of that of course. I have a younger brother, who is the natural son of my adopted parents. The mere fact that you are asking these questions leads me to believe you are on the right path.
My brother and I had a very "normal" brother/sister relationship growing up. The part of being adopted that was hard on me and had the longest term negative impact was the fact that my parents tried to adopt another baby, a girl, and that adoption fell through. She lived with us for a few months when I was young. I definitely had a fear throughout my childhood that I could be given or taken back. It's not a fear I openly shared with anyone, and in retrospect I wish someone had talked to me more about that baby. It's still a subject I cannot bring up to my adoptive parents.
So- I think it is a wonderful thing you are considering and I definitely think it is possible to blend biological and adopted children. I have a great relationship with my brother who I grew up with and also have a great relationship with my biological family today.
Good luck with your journey!