Advertisements
Advertisements
Much to my surprise my adult daughter decided to send in her DNA to Ancestry.com (the largest DNA database). Low and behold a perfect DNA match came back. After years of searching (I'm 67) we found my birth mother. Of course the DNA match only happened because the wife of my half brother decided to send DNA from every family member into Ancestry.com too. Anyway, after additional confirmation, comparing documents, and stories there was no chance of a mistake, we found my birth family.
The only dissapointment was my birth mother had died in Jan. 1991 of Breast Cancer.
What I learned was my birth mother at approx. 20 years old had an argument with her parents and ran off to California where she got pregnant from a 'one night stand'. Faced with a child on the way she returned to Illionois and with the help of some family members she concealed her pregnancy until she gave birth to me. Then, through a private adoption she gave me up for adoption. My birth mother then got married and gave birth to my half sister and half brother too.
I was asked if I'm angry with my birth mother. Heck NO, I just wish I could have met her and thanked her for giving me life.
Last update on July 6, 4:46 pm by Marc Kovitz.
Congratulations on your successful search-- and yes, it was a success, even though your B-mom is deceased. I am going through the same thing, found my birth family through DNA (Ancestry), only to discover that both parents are deceased. B-mom MoMa died in 2002 of cancer, and B-dad died in 2013, possibly never knowing that I existed. Nonetheless, I discovered many siblings ("half" siblings) between the two... 2 on MoMa's side and 4 on the other-- as well as aunts, uncles and cousins who are all very kind and have been really helpful in helping me to discover my ancestors. I even learned that she was searching for me until her death, and had given me a name... not just "Baby Girl". In that regard, the search was a big success, and I'm very happy that many of my questions are being answered. Your search result sounds very much like mine. Best wishes to you, and may you have great luck in forming new friendships and relationships with your First Family! Enjoy learning your roots and building your birth tree. That's one really fun aspect of the whole search! For me, that tree-building will be a life-long task, as my birth family is enormous... and no strangers to adoption and 'non-biological family relationships'. I've found distant cousins who could be hang-out pals right in my home town, and my maternal siblings and cousins are awesome. If I had been able to meet my MoMa, I'd give her the biggest hug she ever got and tell her "Thank you", and "I love you". To my maternal family, LOVE is what makes a family, not blood or DNA or legal papers. I hope the same for you. Blessings!
Last update on August 3, 11:20 pm by Megan McGowan.
Advertisements