Advertisements
Advertisements
I'll start my story at the first time I ever questioned my adoptive mother about my birth. I was around 9 and playing with the neighborhood kids. Kids whose parents all knew each other and knew my adoptive parents. I don't remember exactly how it came up, but it did... the dreaded statement: "so and so said you were adopted." Wjen I heard it, 9 yr old me thought it was absurd and I was going to prove it by having my mother squash the rumor. When I asked her, she vehemently denied the claim. Showed me my birth certificate where it had my adopted parents names clearly printed in back ink. This satisfied me, and many otherdoubters, for many yrs. I was happy with the story she told me... that after years of failed pregnancies, she finally was able to get pregnant at 45 and by some miracle (and very careful bed rest) I was born. I never questioned it.
Until I was 16. By this time, both my adoptive parents had passed away. My father when I was 10 to cancer and my mother a year before to a heart attack. I lived with an aunt and one day, this aunt told me I wasn't even born in the US. That I had been born in Mexico, smuggled over the border and that my mother had paid a woman to claim she saw my birth at home so my mother could get me a birth certificate. I nearly died that day from the shock, but it made it clear: if my mother was willing to keep big things from me, she was probably keeping a lot more from me as well.
After that, every time some rumor about me being adopted, whether it was from a family friend or distant relative, I couldn't quickly dismiss. It left me wondering, but my adoptive parents had passed and the family that was still around either had the same questions I had or claimed ignorance. So, what's a girl to do?
I got me a 23andme kit. That's what I did. Lo and behold, what do I find? A close DNA hit with a family 15 minutes from me. I took note that our family trees didn't match and I asked trusted family members to also take a test. I needed answers and answers I got when the tests came back. No DNA match to my adoptive parents.
So, here I sit... knowing that the rumors weren't rumors after all, in the middle of a pandemic, and not really sure how to address the fact that I can't really for sure know the whole truth since my mom pretty much manufactured my birth certificate through lies. I contacted the family I had a DNA hit with, but they don't know anything either.
I'm not really upset or angry at anyone, but this whole story reminds me of a Mexican soap opera where the main character has some crazy backstory, except I don't think I will turn out to be related to some millionaire.