Advertisements
Advertisements
I'm seeking advice as to which trauma/adoption counseling approaches have worked for adult adoptees who also suffer from severe chronic health conditions. For example has Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) worked for you but without worsening your health conditions?
I now have myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (over 4 years). I am certain that the adoption-related trauma, including possible fetal cortisol syndrome, may be a key factor in my current health condition.
In the past, I've been able to use hypnotherapy and grief counselling for addressing adoption-related trauma - although I ended up feeling absolutely exhausted afterwards. However, if I use similarly exhausting approaches, I run the risk of doing further damage to my ME/CFS-related condition. Currently I've been doing Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), which is helping to some degree in accepting ME/CFS-related things (and without worsening my physical health), but I think I've reached a plateau.
Some of my ME/CFS peers have said that EMDR has helped them. However, they aren't adoptees and I'm aware that adoption-related adoptee trauma, particularly pre-conscious/pre-birth trauma can have their own dynamics, challenges and therefore efficacy.
I'm not seeking adoption reunion advice or ME/CFS advice. I already have that via the #MillionsMissing website.
I am specifically seeking feedback as to which trauma/adoption counseling approaches have helped other adult adoptees WITHOUT worsening one's chronic physical symptoms.
Thanks in advance.
Last update on September 8, 12:48 am by Erica Eele.