Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello,
I am posting out of concern for my mom who is hoping to adopt a baby from her coworkers daughter. I am familiar with fetal alcohol syndrome and the damage it can cause but haven't heard much about drinking only during later pregnancy. She is hoping to adopt a baby who was exposed to very heavy binge amounts of alcohol about 6x when birth mom relapsed between 20-24 weeks gestation. The birth mom was actually found passed out in the snow, extremely drunk during her last binge and was found by police and is now in rehab. Hopefully will not continue to drink when she is discharged. My mom believes that she is being honest about consumption because she is being so forthcoming about the amount of drinking that has occurred during her relapse and genuinely shows concern for what she has done. My moms coworkers has also vouched for her and said that she was on a pretty straight path for a year prior to her pregnancy, and the relapse was a shock for everybody. Anybody have any ideas on how much damage could've been caused ? I have read that first trimester is worst for drinking, but also the opposite. My mom is a great mom and has fostered kids with some disabilities, but I am worried due to her being a bit older, having a baby with severe brain damage or behavioral issues is more than she can handle, though she seems pretty committed to following through with adopting assuming the birth mom doesn't back out. ANY info is appreciated!
Mimi