Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello all,
I'm writing from california and to be honest, im not sure if the purpose of this post is for encouragement, advice, what to expect next, or just to vent. Im still kind of numb and running on autopilot at the moment. Anyhow, here what has happened...
My foster child who is a blood relative of mine was placed with me by CPS when he was 4 months old. He was removed from his parents home when he was 6 weeks old due to a severe case of physical abuse (he had broken bones). After removal at 6 weeks he was placed with an intermediate Foster family while I went through classes and all of the steps to become a foster parent out here in California. As of the time of this writing, I have had him in my care for just over a year now and he is going on 18 months old. At the beginning of all of this, CPS made all of this sound like it was a for sure thing that reunification would be bypassed by the judge due to the severity of his case and that I would likely be able to adopt him. Fast forward to yesterday's court hearing and the judge granted reunification services for the bio mom (bio dad isn't in the picture).
I just can't understand this. He is such a happy little child with me and when I got a copy of the disposition report, I read it front to back multiple times and it was absolutely disgusting. I don't know how anyone in their right mind could objectively read the facts contained in that report and think that it might even possibly be a good idea to reunify him! He's been with me and knows me as his parent for the last 13 months and from what I understand the bio parent has 6 months to complete court ordered reunification services to get him back. Do they not understand that to remove him nearly 2 years of age is going to cause your reversible psychological trauma that will affect him for the rest of his life? I just dont know how to take all of this in. I feel numb.
Whats next? What happens now? Is there any chance that the judge could reverses decision? I just recently found out about this thing called "de facto parent" and a couple weeks ago I submitted the necessary forms and documentation to get the ball rolling on that but now that the judge has rendered this decision to try and reunify, I don't even know if I have a shot at all keeping him with me and keeping him safe. I just don't know what to do or where to go. I'm full of so many emotions right now I can't even think straight...