Advertisements
Advertisements
I'm also an adult adoptee from Guatemala. I have searched for years for answers and I have started speaking about being an adoptee and I came across this podcast series that was posted mid summer?? of this year. I very much identify with what these brave women have endured. Tears came to my eyes listening to their stories. I thought perhaps the parents of future adoptees from my home country would want to take a listen. Apparently the link won't upload . . So if you all want to listen to this amazing series . . . . go to google, Type in "Travelogue media . . . " it will bring up a website called Traveloguemedia and then a dot com, I'm avoiding this site from preventing the info to be posted. But once on the travelogue media site, click on the word PODCAST in the upper righthand corner, (it might be hard to see as it is black on green) then it will say, "latest episodes on soundcloud" click on the green and yellow map, it will open up a new window to the podcasts on soundcloud and the entire series is the fourth link down. "Guatemalan connections" it starts with the first woman and has the other two episodes of the series following in order. Coming forth as an adoptee from Guatemala, myself? I thought these were beautifully done.
The civil war they speak of, very few americans or people from other countries know about the war from 1966 to about 1987. The internet says it was later, it wasn't. And the internet says only 330 kids were affected. That is so untrue. It was so many more. There are forums on facebook for adoptees only . . . and we have all gone looking for our families. Some have been successful. This podcast is about two women who had two different results. . . from what i gather, the one is still looking.
BTW . . someone asked if mayans are native american. They are not. We are Central American Indians. This is all inclusive of Incan's and Aztecs. The correct term to identify with is to be "INDIGENOUS" or as such, "to be of a particular place of origin". We are indigenious like Native American's are indigenous. But the southern tribes are in accordance with their "continent" if that makes sense? If you are not convinced, ask any anthropology department at a given reputable University. This is how we are "identified". Central American Indians . . . you can fill in the blank next to "Other". Hope this helps some of the parents. The other 2 parts to this series can also be found on the same website.
Last update on September 14, 2:03 pm by Surya Parvati.