Advertisements
Advertisements
As a single mother, I'm facing significant challenges with my 4-year-old son's behavioral problems, and I'm reaching out for help and advice. I've grown increasingly concerned about the solutions offered by the medical community, primarily medication, which I'm hesitant about.
My main concern revolves around the persistent behavioral issues my son has been displaying for over two years, including extreme aggression and destructive behavior. Sadly, I've been injured numerous times due to his actions. I've sought therapy for him, and both his therapist and the behavioral/developmental pediatrician we consulted have recommended medication. The pediatrician prescribed Risperdal, an intense antipsychotic medication. However, my parents don't support the idea of medicating him, and I have reservations as well (as many of you might understand). Nonetheless, I've reached a point of desperation with his behavior and felt compelled to seek advice here as a last resort. Medication is not my preferred option, but I'm feeling desperate and open to any ideas that could assist me in handling my son's challenges.
Moreover, the doctor, therapist (a psychologist), and his regular pediatrician have expressed concerns that if his behavior persists, it could form neural pathways that may have long-lasting effects. They emphasize that if I'm struggling to control him and keep him from causing harm now, what will it be like when he's 8 or 10 years old? This situation has left me feeling scared, angry, and frustrated, and I can't help but blame myself and taking consultation with my doctor (https://www.cognitivebehaviourtherapytoronto.com/what-is-cognitive-behaviour-therapy/). Can anybody help me in this