Advertisements
Advertisements
Need some advice! I'm 35, was raised by my birth mother and adoptive father since I was 4. I knew from a young age that he adopted me. I didn't really ask questions about my birth father. I had an amazing childhood so I didn't ever have an urge, even as an adult. My father passed away when I was 26. Fast forward 9ish years and my mother told me that my birth father reached out to her. He told her he hasn't woken up a day since I was born that he didn't think of me. Backstory- he agreed for my dad to adopt me because he had made some bad decisions and gotten into a lot of trouble, and went to prison. He has no expectations, just wanted me to know that he loves me and always has. My mom is supportive of whatever decision I make. Now- he is a convicted felon. He has been on the straight and narrow since he was released from prison. He even has another daughter, so I have a sister. My husband knows the story... and I don't want to say he doesn't support me reuniting with him however he said that our children are not to be around him due to his past. I'm having a hard time with this... if I choose to attempt a relationship, how do I not involve my children? I'm just not sure what to do. I haven't reached out to him yet. I have drafted a letter but have not sent. I'm just lost. It would be completely different if I had my husband's full support. Thoughts and/or advice welcome! Thanks!