Advertisements
Advertisements
Would anyone have info on maternity home located on Carew St. next to Parkview Memorial Hospital in Ft. Wayne Indiana? Birthmother stayed there from probably June of 1969 til after January 23 1970. Daughter born at Parkview. Rebecca W. on January 23. Thanks. :)
I was unable to find the maternity home address you specified in the Fort Wayne part of the book, "Adoption Agencies, Orphanages and Maternity Homes : An Historical Directory," published in 1982.
The only maternity home in the city was the Fort Wayne Children's Home, which had a Woodhaven Unit at 2525 Lake Avenue. The latest name shown is for 1977: Children's & Maternity Homes of the United Church of Christ.
In general, maternity homes do not place children for adoption, and I challenge you to find any adoptee or birth mother who obtained information from a maternity home. Actually, I hope you are successful in meeting this challenge.
The dates that the birth mother stayed at the home do not seem useful in a search, but I'm not always correct in my opinions. If you are an adoptee (and that is not obvious from the text of the query), your focus should be on having your current physician obtain the hospital records of your birth and then pursuing your maternal grandparents (if alive) or their obituaries.
Good luck from [Mr.] Reg Niles
RegNMINiles@cs.com
Advertisements
Thanks, Reg..I already have been in contact with relatives in Ft Wayne. They were in constant contact with the mother all during her pregnancy, and they knew where she stayed. It was on Carew St. behind Parkview Hospital. Her aunt would come down and take her to lunch and visit, so I'm pretty sure I know where she stayed. Woodhaven closed some years ago, and the adoption was probably handled through Allen County Welfare.
Already have my homework done. Just waiting for the other side to start looking.
God Bless You
What was once called Wood Haven is now called Crossroads Childrens Home. It could be the same place you are refering too...its very very close to Park View Hospital. You might also try the Allen County Public Library. They have alot of books on local hospitals and other places in Fort Wayne of that nature. Hope your search is going well.
Kari
TRIADOPTION, in agreement with the copyright holder, has digitized "Adoption Agencies, Orphanages and Maternity Homes: An Historical Directory" - Volumes 1 & 2 as a searchable resource.
Free access to the book is on the Internet at:
[url]http://www.sacredhealing.com/triadoption/Reg%20Niles%20AAOMH.htm[/url]
Reg Niles
RegNMINiles#cs.com
(change pound sign to at sign)
Advertisements
Yes the information is at ,Google (catholic charites fort wayne adoption) go down to (Serch and Reunion ) READ
then google (fwch ) click on (crossroads) click on (alumni) click on (our history) view the photo gallery
I was a resident at Woodhaven Maternity Home from February 1967 - late June 1967, which is prior to the dates of your timeline. I have many memories of Woodhaven, some that are surprisingly poignant. It was almost like living in a college dorm except all the girls there (& some older women as well) were pregnant. I formed many close friendships, one of which I am still close friends with to this day. She, however, has never felt compelled to search for the son she gave up. I surrendered my son to the Wells County Welfare Agency a few days after his birth. I was not permitted to touch my child, but was allowed a moments glimpse through the special nursery window. I rec'd a black/white photo, which though I no longer have, I can still see in my memory, & on the back it read "Baby Rupel" - I was told his birth certificate would be registered thus. He was a fat little thing, absolutely perfect & beautiful. I engaged the services of a researcher which involved my obtaining my hospital records from Parkview Memorial Hospital which at the time was located right next door practically. I believe they have built a new hospital near the interstate. The emptiness of giving up a baby is a haunting presence that I eventually have learned to live with. I would truly love to meet my son someday. Perhaps he doesn't even know he was adopted; it is hard to tell. I am an advocate of open adoption & greatly dislike Indiana's closed adoption laws at the time. In 1967, single women did not keep their babies; if they did, the child was teased unmercifully; it was the exception to the rule. I was a very niave, kind & gentle girl who made a huge mistake, one that will live with me till the day I die. I hope you are successful in your search. I turned my search over to God; I know if a reunion is in His plan, it will happen. God bless you.