Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi, Wanted to ask if anyone out there has adopted thru the state of Texas? Just courious on how long the process took etc. Our home study has been complete since Sept and we have heard nothing? Knowing that Nov. is Adoption Month I was hopeful that we would have heard something. i am under the impression that there are 5600 children waiting in Texas? We are thinking about moving away from this route and signing with a private agency.
Any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks Stacie
[url]http://stacieandgraham.hopetoadopt.com[/url]
There are a lot of Texas kids listed on the web. Start calling about them. Check in with your worker a lot. You have to be proactive as the state workers get terribly over loaded. I know it seams like a long wait, but in most states, the system moves pretty slow. If your not politely bugging your worker, you get missed. Give it a little more time.
Advertisements
I am currently adopting my daughter through the state of TX. I was on the waiting list for 4 months before we got her, but I was open to foster- adopt (which is what we're doing with my daughter), any race, up to age 4, with a certain number of background and developmental issues. My agency, Casey Family Programs, told me that couples waiting for white infants can expect to wait 2 to 5 years. And even if you want an infant of another race, it's a long wait. The only 'quick' state adoptions are if you want a minority sibling group, and you can handle developmental and medical issues. Other than that, it's a wait. If you've only been waiting since September, that's not long at all. You just have to have patience, and know that your child(ren) is out there. It's just a matter of time.
If you are wanting an infant, it would be best to work with an agency, OR to agree to foster an infant. You run the risk of them going back to the birth family, but your odds of adopting an infant go up dramatically if you foster. I know quite a bit about this, if you want to email me privately - jenniferdanvers@yahoo.com.
Hi Linda, Sorry this response took me awhile-tis the season! No I am sorry but I do not have a personal referral for a home study. But I did look in the Austin phone book and found Sandra Carlson, over 20 yrs exp in home studies-her number is 800-266-5004. Good luck!
Stacie
Stacie,
Thank you. Good luck on your adoption, and I hope you hear something soon. Hope your holidays are wonderful!
Linda
Linda-your welcomed. Hope all goes well for you. Our home study was great. Even though she was here for 5 hrs! I was pretty stressed before hand-but quickly got over it.
A question for you-hope I have not already asked this one-I am full of questions these days! Do you know of any good-preferably small agencies in Texas? Do not want to use any of the big ones.
Thinking about changing directions a bit after the first of the year.
Thanks-Stacie
Advertisements
Stacie,
I'm sorry I do not know a good agency in Texas. We are adopting a baby from a relative. We are very excited, but also somewhat concerned about the family aspect. We will see the birth parents several times a year at family gatherings.
You take care! If you have time, write and let me know your progress.
Linda
Check out the Depelchin Childrens' Center in Houston. We have worked with them for the adoption of our two daughters and are planning to adopt one more this coming year. Many of their children are in CPS custody but they also handle a few infant adoptions each year. The CPS adoptions and homestudies are free of charge and the infant adoption fees are on a sliding scale based on family income.
[url]http://www.[/url] depelchin.org
I am currently adopting 4 children through CPS. It is such a wonderful experience. The kids SW is wonderful! I have heard story after story of horrible experiences with CPS..but all I can say is that my experience with CPS has been wonderful. Ther are a lot of children up for adoption, but what most people don't know is that to adopt children you need to foster them first. Most of the kids up for adopt get adopted through the foster care system... much of Luck, Lisa
I never fostered before I adopted through DFS(or CPS depending on the state). I adopted two single children and a sib group of three through the state.
Advertisements
You should check out [url]www.marywood.org.[/url]
Marywood is a small agency in Austin, TX that has been around for quite a while and currently contracts with CPS for foster care and adoptions.
I have to agree with what some of the other posts have said-- if you want a child in your home faster, you may want to consider foster/adopt. We were/are very adoption motivated but decided to foster when I got so discouraged about the wait time on adoptions. Also, if you want to adopt an infant through CPS, you must be a foster parent first. Almost all children adopted out thorugh CPS are older (unless there is an infant with an older sibling) because they have already been in the system for a while. The foster parents that have had the children placed with them get first choice in adopting.
I guess there is a huge need for homes in our area. We had been licensed about 3 hours when we got our first call and had a 5 day old little boy (anglo) placed with us that day. He was with us for 3 months. While giving him back was the hardest thing I have ever done, I wouldn't trade those 3 months with him for anything. The day he went home, we got a call for another placement of a 6 day old girl (also anglo). She is now 3 months old. Her parent's parental rights are set to be terminated in Feb. Our adoption should be final by Summer '04, just before she turns a year old.
Again, if you as anxious as I was to have a baby to love, you might consider fostering....
Hi! Any luck since you originally posted ths message? My husband and I are in the same boat. We are wanting to adopt siblings age 10 or less. Same thing -- Our homestudy was approved in September and we are still waiting. It's VERY frustrating. Especially when you hear how many children are waiting and how there is a shortage of parents! Good luck to you!
We were approved in early July and received a precious 4 month old baby boy last week. It is "legal-risk" foster-to-adopt but it seems really likely, based on the circumstances, that the judge is on board to terminate parental rights as quickly as possible.
Advertisements
The last time I posted I spoke of us adopting our 4 foster children. Well, that was finalized in April. I have heard once you adopt you seem to get more children...but for us I thought..no way. In August I got a call that my children's mother had a baby....so, now I have another baby. She is so special. In two days I will go to the mediation and termination should be soon. Keep hanging in there......you'll get your children.......trust me.
I feel somewhat better now. We were approved towards the end of October and hadn't heard anything about two children we submitted our profile on. Everything seemed to go so fast I thought for sure this would also. It's only been a couple of weeks so I need to be patient.
Hope you get yours soon!