Advertisements
Advertisements
I'm trying to help my 11 year old understand his background. He was originally adopted five years ago by another family and came to live with me during the past year. His previous adoptive parents have info that says his birth mother placed him in an orphange at 3 days old and when he turned five, he was moved to an older child orphange in ARRAD where they adopted him. His birth mother was a gypsy.
Here's where the confusion starts. When the parents picked him up, the interpreter could not understand his Romanian and said it was mostly gypsy slang. My son says he lived with his birth mom and that even after being placed in the first orphange, his birth mother visited him.
This could be a fantasy on his part, but would he have learned gypsy slang inside the orphange? Anybody ever hear anything like this before?
Hi,
I'm Romani (actually I often spell it Rromany so people don't confuse it with Romanian :-) I'm from the Czech Republic, but from what I know about Romanian Rroma and Romanians, the parents were not exactly speaking "slang," they were either speaking the Romani language (most closely related to Punjabi and thus unintelligible to Gadzho Europeans [or to Punjabis, for that matter]) or a mix of Romanian and Romani. It is entirely possible that your son knows some Romani! It's possible that some children in his orphanage knew/know the language. I worked with kids from a Slovak orphanage, and it's a similar situation: most of the orphanage kids are Romani because they're nearly impossible to place domestically, and even though very few of them use Romani actively, when I talked to some of them in Romani they understood. Some of these kids had been away from Romani-speaking families for many years. I would suggest finding some Romani words and seeing if your son understands, e.g., [pronounce like Spanish] bala (hair), vast (hand), baro (big), shero (head), besh (sit), paniy (water)... If your son doesn't understand any of these basic words, it could be that he knows random other ones...
1 Liked
 likes this.
Advertisements
gypsies usually live a different lifestyle than their traditional counterparts.
They have their own language. This helped them to remain elusive/mysterious/exotic.
In the Soviet Union they were exempt from work....everyone else had to be employed. Many have evolved into con artists/thieves...They are very perceptive/intuitive/multi talented.
They are extraordinary craftsman...dancers/singers....
Absurdly speaking....they are "white rhinos"....renegades/independent thinkers....an element that has contributed to their tragic destiny....One of Hitler's mission was to destroy them....without mercy....he nearly succeeded...
I'm willing to bet, those of of you who adopt gypsy children....will see that these children just have something indescribeably special....what a thrill.....
Your beautiful son is not a “gypsy.” He is Romani- our nation has a completely different language; please also realize we would never give our children away, we have been coerced for years to have them taken and ripped away from our clans. We would never ever give away our children. I hope you include this as you speak with your son.
Feel free to message me if you have any other questions.
-Anjela
Romani have an incredibly strict system in every single clan. We do not have our own language to remain “mysterious/exotic” we have our own language because we are our own nation. In the same way, we have our own government system and justice system.
Another thing to correct is your misinformation about our work ethic. We were worked like dogs.
The only people who have “ evolved into con artists/thieves,” are people who are not Romani and call themselves gypsies. They have no genetic or blood relation to us Roma.
Yes, we were targeted in the holocaust. No, we were nowhere close to the becoming extinct. We have large families.
“what a thrill.....”
This entire post is fetishizing our children. You have continued to exacerbate false information, and that is hurtful to our community.
Last update on February 19, 7:33 am by Anjela Svoboda.