Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello Everyone:
I am very thankful for the option of home schooling. It gives parents an option for children to have a successful educational experience no matter their academic strengths. It is also wonderful to have the option of home schooling for those children that may need more time bonding or other specific needs.
Is anyone currently home schooling at their house or in a home school group? Do you have a classroom experience to accompany your child's educational experience as well? How many years have you been home schooling?
Thanks for sharing.
I homeschooled all my kids for the first six months to give them time to adjust to a new family without throwing a new school in the mix. A lot of them were behind and this gave them a safe place to catch up without feeling stupid.
I went back to homeschooling last year when during my sons IEP meeting they informed me he could graduate with a third grade education, they didn't care if he learned anything or not, and all they wanted was for him to sit down and shut up and they were going to bribe him to do that. That didn't seem good for him. One of my seventh graders asked me to homeschool him again because he felt he wasn't learning enough. We were then joined by a new arrival and the return of my other then eighth grader from long term treatment.
I like homeschooling. I'm with my kids all day and they tell me everything. We get to discuss social issues, religion, and take field trips whenever we want. We also do service projects together. Everything we learn isn't confined to a book or what's on the lesson plan for the day. When it gets warm in the spring we have PE in the park and our clasroom moves outside.
Each child's curriculum is hand built by my husband, my child, and me to meet each child's need. We can do fourth grade math catch up and still do seventh grade science etc.
My kids are much happier and more relaxed and talk more about going to college then droping out at 16 like they use to in public school.
Advertisements
I was so glad to read your post about home schooling. I have not adopted yet, but we are hoping to have our 13 year old son with us by the end of summer. You are right about not wanting them to have to adjust to a new family and a new school. Since I am home all day, I think home schooling would be ideal if that is his choice too.
He is on my mind every day and I am so excited. Time is not going fast enough.
Mom4Life
I home schooled my oldest daughter all the way until 9th grade, at which time she entered a charter high school and graduated as valedictorian. My oldest son just received his high school diploma, having been home schooled his entire life. My youngest four have been in public school most of their lives except for a year and a half when I brought them home and schooled them out of sheer frustration with their schools. I am in the process of considering bringing one home now and possibly another next fall. All four have IEPs and, like lucyjoy, we have been really disheartened by how little they expect of any of these children. I am not unrealistic and know that my children have some significant needs, but the schools seem content to let them color a wee bit too much and not challenge them the way we do. My problem is that I'm so tired. After 21 years of home schooling I have selfishly enjoyed having them all in school this year. It's the first time I've ever had any uninterrupted time to clean or read or get on the computer. With our new adoption pending, I was sort of looking forward to spending time alone with the new little one(s). At the same time, I have one son who is really having some serious behavioral issues at school and should probably come home. Oh decisions, decisions!:confused:
:cool: I admire you. I don't think I would have the energy to take in the kids you have. Actually, I am just turning 55 (the speed limit) and this is our first adoption. He is 13 and has been dragged around to crack houses by his BM. My heart just goes out to him so much. He is making progress emotionally, and right now I am not sure what grade level is at. I do know that my husband and I can give him the one on one education that he probably needs.
My concern is socialization. Being new to this area, he will not know and other kids and we live in a rural area. Do most schools have programs for home schooled kids for the purpose of after school sports and functions? As soon as we are closer to completing our classes and home study, I will contact our local school to see what is available, but wondering if most schools make provisions for these kids. :p
Were you talking to me? You are 55 and taking on a 13 year old and you admire me?! Yee ha, you're taking the bull by the horns.:) Is this a boy that you know already? Wow! I'm turning 46 this year and wondering if I really have it in me to do it again. My hat is off to you. There are so many wonderful teens out there with nowhere to go and it takes such special people to open their homes and their hearts to them. You will be blessed beyond measure!
Socialization is always the number one concern everyone has going into home schooling. It's really not an issue, you will find. There are a multitude of social activities out there for kids from church youth groups to Boy Scouts and Little League. Because home schooling is becoming so widely accepted there are more and more charter schools and satellyte programs popping up and most of them offer different social gatherings and classes. For instance, one of the groups I've been checking into in my area offers math and science classes for kids at the charter school location for those parents who don't feel real confident in teaching those subjects. They also offer P.E. classes so kids can play on teams with other home schooled kids.
Your new son will probably welcome the one on one time with you alone and he will not suffer from not spending a lot of time with peers, especially that first 6 months to a year he's home with you. By that time you'll be able to investigate all the programs in your area and you can discuss with him which activities he'd like to be involved in. You will do just fine with him. Trust your instincts! :)
Advertisements
I have met him once, and know his aunt. We are hopefully spending the day together on the 15th. I could not think of anything else the day I met him. I knew he was in foster care, but did not know he was available for adoption until I mentioned to his aunt what a nice kid he is and I would adopt him in a minute if he was available. Well, I hope he likes us. To me it was almost like love at first sight. I just kept thinking "he belongs in our family". :p
We have three bio children that we have been homeschooling for over 10 years. This past summer we brought home our 11 yo son and recently finalized. I agree that the schools can tend to just push some of these children from one grade to the next without a concern of whether or not they are learning. My son was told that he passed 5th grade, but he would not do so well on even a 3rd grade test. When he first moved in he didn't even understand alot of what I said to him in everyday speech. He did not comprehend almost all of what he read. Since working with him so far this school year he has blossomed so much. Our biggest problem is that he sometimes becomes frustrated and thinks back on the times when a teacher would put a worksheet in front of him and not really care if he did it or not. The teacher was usually more concerned about him not disrupting the rest of the class. If it got too bad, they just upped his medication. In our home we promote learning. I don't care if the pace is slow or fast. All I ever ask is that each child put forth their best. Our new son has not been on meds since the first week in our home. He is quite managable, and is excited about reading for the first time in his life. He has made great strides and bonding has been good. He understands so much more that is going on around him and it builds his self confidence. Homeschooling has been the best thing for our family. We plan to adopt again and again and again. We hope that we can homeschool every child and be able to reach them where they are and walk with them to where they need to go. Some will max out at a lower level than others, but we will teach them to be able to contribute to society in some way. I do hope that through this board I will be helped by others homeschooling the special needs children we bring into our homes. What works and what didn't work as well. To rejoice together in the small accomplishments from our children, and cry as we see others soar above the labels put on them by others.
There is so much to teach our children, I feel truly blessed to be able to share all their moments great and small, and be here to talk to them at any time they need to share.
Blessings,
Jackie
I am feeling so much better about the thought of homeschooling after chatting on this forum. I think these kids really want to know that someone truly cares about them and their lives and to be able to put forth the effort to ensure they do the best of their ability and not just passed over because a teacher could not be bothered or she/he is overworked and their is not enough resourses. Thanks to all of you, as you really helped me to know I will be doing the right thing for my son. Wow, the sound of "my son" is so wonderful. I want to burst with pride and I don't even have him yet. Soon though, soon.
Diana:D
We are a homeschool family too. I have 13 years of classroom experience ranging from preschool to high school algebra, so academically I'm ready for everything. That's not to say it's been easy but when we adopted our daughter through the state at age 9.5, she was barely reading and had decided she was a failure. She was in the 3rd grade only because she had already been retained twice. With one-on-one teaching tailored to her own strenghts and weaknesses, she is on grade level now after just 2 years.
Many of these kids are very bright and want to learn but have never had the support at home or a chance to prove it. I credit her determination for her success.
Advertisements
My five siblings and I were all home schooled. Back then, (in the '80's & early '90's) not many people knew what home schooling was, or they thought it was very weird. Most of the other familys who home schooled in our area were Mormans or anti-goverment people, which we were not. But despite that, I think home shooling was the best thing for our family, and I am planning on teaching my adopted daughter in a few years.
The thing people asked me most growing up was, "How do you make friends?" I think being home schooled teaches you to be more social, rather than not. Since you don't have the common ground of going to the same school or being in the same class as other children, you have to learn to meet people like adults do, by introducing yourself and finding common ground with all different types of people.
So from somebody who's been there, go for it! ESPECIALLY if your child doesn't fit in the "normal" box.
Our kids were placed with us FTA and homeschooling was not an option. Our daughter was in 6th grade, had a history of non-attendance before coming into foster care. We had to enroll her in her 6th school in 2 years. After finalization, our daughter continued to struggle in school. In 8th grade, we enrolled her in our local K-12 charter school (k12.com). This provides really well-designed courses and teacher support.
Because she is a proficient reader, she is able to work independently most of the time. My role was to provide sufficient structure and incentive to keep it rolling. We have been able to spend so much more time together than we would have otherwise. She's been able to get A's and B's, and talking in class and being tardy are not a problem :)
She has just started her senior year and is on track to graduate. She will have taken all the classes required to apply to state universities. Currently, she plans to enlist in the military and ship out to basic training as soon as she graduates.
Advertisements
Agile is the future of project management. Many companies are adopting agile methodologies to increase team performance and improve customer satisfaction. The Agile Certified Practitioner (ACP) is the newest certification offered by PMI and is expected to become the industry standard certification for agile over the next few years. In addition to preparing you for the [URL="http://projectmanagementacademy.net/san-francisco/pmi-acp-requirements.php"]PMI-ACP certification training[/URL], this course is designed to teach you the principals and practices of agile, including Scrum, XP and Lean. Don't let this opportunity pass you by, register today for one of our PMI-ACP courses.