Advertisements
Advertisements
Has anyone had experience with a domestic interfaith adoption? I know there are plenty of agencies out there, but most of them require a statement of Christian faith that we are not able to provide.
Has anyone felt discrimination against Jewish/interfaith aparents? Any success stories?? we're currently registered with our local JFS and playing the waiting game...
thanks!
Dot
Hi Dot......when DH and I decided to start the adoption process, we of course went straight to agencies....and found that most ( that were reasonably affordable anyway) were religious based. I am Jewish, DH is Christian, and we got very discouraged. We decided a private adoption would be best for us, but still thought that our different faiths would be against us. Amazingly enough, we were chosen to be parents just days after our homestudy was complete......and our son's Bmom chose us BECAUSE OF our different faiths. She was intrigued and impressed by our strong union and respect for each others beliefs. That was 17 months ago......
Good Luck to you
Advertisements
Congratulations on your success! I assume you had a private adoption? We're considering going that route, but want to give our agency a few months first.
Thanks again, you've given me a great perspective! I never thought of a bmom seeing it that way.
Hi Dot:
My dh and I are of different faiths. I am Jewish, he is Christian. We went through our local Jewish Child and Family Service agency. They only required that one parent be Jewish. After a very long wait (4 years), we adopted a beautiful little boy, who is not Jewish, and is of mixed heritage. He will soon be converted to Judaism.
We were very open to different types of children. Race, color, and religion were unimportant to us. As were some mild disabilities. Because we were willing to accept an older child, we were blessed with our beautiful son, when he was 2 and a half. He is the light of my life.
The waiting is the hardest part. Have faith that the "right" child will be yours in time.
Tam :)