Adopting from Barbados

Revision as of 01:46, 18 February 2018 by Admin (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

The official flag




The official coat of arms.

A beach scene.

High Street.

Notice: As of July 14, 2014, all individuals and agencies facilitating international adoptions must be in compliance with the Intercountry Universal Accreditation Act.

The information contained on this website is for educational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal advice. Always seek the advice of a licensed and qualified professional. While the content of this website is frequently updated, information changes rapidly and therefore, some information may be out of date, and/or contain inaccuracies, omissions or typographical errors.

About Barbados

The island was uninhabited when first settled by the British in 1627. African slaves worked the sugar plantations established on the island until 1834 when slavery was abolished. To learn more, read About Barbados.

Hague Convention Information

Barbados is not party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption (Hague Adoption Convention). Therefore, when the Hague Adoption Convention entered into force for the United States on April 1, 2008, intercountry adoption processing for Barbados did not change.

Only citizens of countries with which Barbados has diplomatic or consular relations may adopt Barbadian children. The United States has diplomatic relations with Barbados.

Who Can Adopt

To bring an adopted child to United States from Barbados, you must be found eligible to adopt by the U.S. Government. The U.S. Government agency responsible for making this determination is the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Learn more. To learn more, read about Who Can Adopt from Barbados.

Who Can Be Adopted

Barbados has specific requirements that a child must meet in order to be eligible for adoption. You cannot adopt a child in Barbados unless he or she meets the requirements outlined below.

In addition to the requirements set by Barbados, a child must meet the definition of an orphan under U.S. law for you to bring him or her back to the United States. Learn moreabout these U.S. requirements.

How to Adopt

Adoption Authority

Barbados Adoption Authority

The adoption agency for all of Barbados is the Child Care Board. There are no private adoption agencies operating in Barbados. To learn more, read about How to Adopt from Barbados.

Traveling Abroad

Read more about Traveling Abroad in Barbados.

After Adoption

What resources are available to assist families after the adoption?

Many adoptive parents find it important to find support after the adoption. Take advantage of all the resources available to your family -- whether it's another adoptive family, a support group, an advocacy organization, or your religious or community services.

Here are some good places to start your support group search:

Child Welfare Information Gateway

North American Council on Adoptable Children

NOTE: Inclusion of non-U.S. Government links does not imply endorsement of contents.

Contact Information

U.S. Embassy in Barbados

Consular Section Wildey Business Park Wildey St. Michael, Barbados Tel: (246) 227-4000 Fax: (246) 431-0179 Email: Internet: U.S. Embassy in Barbados

Barbadian Adoption Authority

Child Care Board The Fred Edghill Building Cheapside, Fontabelle, Barbados Tel: 1 (246) 426-2577

Embassy of Barbados

2144 Wyoming Avenue, NW Washington, DC 20008 Tel: (202) 939-9200 Fax: (202) 332-7467

Barbados also has consulates in Los Angeles, Miami, and New York.

Office of Children's Issues

U.S. Department of State CA/OCS/CI SA-17, 9th Floor Washington, DC 20522-1709 Tel: 1-888-407-4747 E-mail: Internet: U.S. Department of State

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) For questions about immigration procedures, call the National Customer Service Center (NCSC)

1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833)


Intercountry Adoption, Bureau of Consular Affairs. U.S. Department of State Country Information