Adopting from Peru

Revision as of 14:03, 16 June 2021 by Admin (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

The official flag.



The official coat of arms.

View of riverbank in Manu National Park, Madre de Dios.

A mountain peak in the Huascarán National Park.

Two Peruvian girls.

Machu Picchu.

Pueblo Joven, picture was taken in southern part of Lima.

The historic city center of Lima.

A little Peruvian girl.

Notice: As of July 14, 2014, all individuals and agencies facilitating international adoptions must be in compliance with the Intercountry Universal Accreditation Act.

The information contained on this website is for educational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal advice. Always seek the advice of a licensed and qualified professional. While the content of this website is frequently updated, information changes rapidly and therefore, some information may be out of date, and/or contain inaccuracies, omissions or typographical errors.

About Peru

Ancient Peru was the seat of several prominent Andean civilizations, most notably that of the Incas whose empire was captured by Spanish conquistadors in 1533. Peruvian independence was declared in 1821, and remaining Spanish forces were defeated in 1824. After a dozen years of military rule, Peru returned to democratic leadership in 1980, but experienced economic problems and the growth of a violent insurgency. To learn more please read About Peru.

Hague Convention Information

Peru is party to the Hague Convention on Protection of Children and Co-operation in Respect of Intercountry Adoption(Hague Adoption Convention). To learn more please read about Peru and the Hague Convention.

Who Can Adopt

Adoption between the United States and Peru is governed by the Hague Convention on Adoptions. Therefore to adopt from Peru, you must first be found eligible to adopt by the U.S. Government. The U.S. Government agency responsible for making this determination is the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Learn more. To learn more please read about Who Can Adopt from Peru.

Who Can Be Adopted

To learn about eligibility requirements for adoption in Peru please read Who Can Be Adopted from Peru.

How to Adopt

WARNING: Peru is party to the Hague Adoption Convention. Do not adopt or obtain legal custody of a child in Peru before U.S. consular officer issues an “Article 5/17 Letter” in the case. Read on for more information.

Adoption Authority

Peru's Adoption Authority

Peru’s Central Authority for Adoptions is the Dirección General de Adopciones (DGA) within the Ministry of Women and Vulnerable Populations (MIMP). Only DGA can certify cases as Convention compliant.

NOTE: If any of the following occurred prior to April 1, 2008 (the date on which the Hague Adoption Convention entered into force with respect to the United States), the Hague Adoption Convention may not apply to your adoption: 1) you filed a Form I-600A identifying Peru as the country where you intended to adopt; 2) you filed a Form I-600; or; 3) the adoption was completed. Under these circumstances, your adopted child’s visa application could continue to be processed in accordance with the immigration regulations for non-Convention adoptions. For more information, read about Transition Cases.

The Process

Because Peru is party to the Hague Adoption Convention, adopting from Peru must follow a specific process designed to meet the Convention’s requirements. A brief summary of the Convention adoption process is given below. You must complete these steps in the following order to meet all necessary legal requirements. Adoptions completed out of order may result in the child not being eligible for an immigrant visa to the United States.

  1. Choose an Accredited Adoption Service Provider
  2. Apply to be Found Eligible to Adopt
  3. Be matched with a Child
  4. Apply for the child to be found eligible for adoption
  5. Adopt (or Obtain Legal Custody) of the child in Peru
  6. Bring your child home

To learn more about this process please read How to Adopt from Peru.

Traveling Abroad

Applying for Your U.S. Passport

A valid U.S. passport is required to enter and leave Peru. Only the U.S. Department of State has the authority to grant, issue, or verify U.S. passports. Getting or renewing a passport is easy. To learn more please read about Traveling Abroad in Peru.

After Adoption

What resources are available to assist families after the adoption?

Many adoptive parents find it important to find support after the adoption. Take advantage of all the resources available to your family -- whether it's another adoptive family, a support group, an advocacy organization, or your religious or community services.

Here are some good places to start your support group search:

Child Welfare Information Gateway

North American Council on Adoptable Children

NOTE: Inclusion of non-U.S. Government links does not imply endorsement of contents.

Contact Information

U.S. Embassy in Peru

Consular Section- Immigrant Visas Avenida La Encalada, Cuadra 17 s/n Monterrico, Surco, Lima 33 Peru Website: U.S. Embassy Peru Email:

Peru’s Adoption Authority

Ministerio de la Mujer y Poblaciones Vulnerables (MIMP) Dirección General de Adopciones (DGA) Av. Benavides 1155 Miraflores, Lima 18 Peru Tel: (51) (1) 416-5431 Website: Peru's Adoption Authority

Embassy of Peru

Consular Section 1700 Massachusetts Ave. NW Washington, DC 20036 Tel: (202) 833-9860 to 9869 Fax: (202) 659-8124 Website: Embassy of Peru Email:

NOTE: PERU has consulates in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Hartford, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, Paterson, New York City, and San Francisco.

Office of Children’s Issues

U.S. Department of State SA-17A 2201 C Street, NW Washington, DC 20520 Tel: 1-888-407-4747 Website: U.S. Department of State Email:

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

For questions about immigration procedures, contact the National Customer Service Center (NCSC) at 1-800-375-5283 (TTY 1-800-767-1833).


Intercountry Adoption, Bureau of Consular Affairs. U.S. Department of State Country Information